This if for you DIY's here..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
Wish I had the cash, I bid on it!

I know...I would definitely buy that one before the other imports....my wife would KICK MY ASS though!!!! She already thinks I'm a bit "off" being a member of this board! She just doesn't understand! I never hear complaints though when the house is a sizzly 78 degrees in the middle of winter!

Having a pellet mill (pelletizer) is one thing, and admittedly, I'm certainly no expert, but doesn't the processing of the raw material prior to the mill require a whole suite of machinery as well? I mean, you don't just stick a tree into the top of the mill and get pellets out the chute, right? Then you gotta bag 'em, or otherwise move & store them. Dunno, but it seems to me that this machine is just sort of at the heart of a much more complex system required to make it all work. Rick

BLIMP said:
milled pelets are oven dried to minimize moisture to ~ 5%. u can play with high MC & bust ur glass, ax me how i know

For production, Yes you would need a drier cus there going straight to the bagging dept! For us hoddies, You would use a rack to dry them takes longer but, who cares!

fossil said:
Having a pellet mill (pelletizer) is one thing, and admittedly, I'm certainly no expert, but doesn't the processing of the raw material prior to the mill require a whole suite of machinery as well? I mean, you don't just stick a tree into the top of the mill and get pellets out the chute, right? Then you gotta bag 'em, or otherwise move & store them. Dunno, but it seems to me that this machine is just sort of at the heart of a much more complex system required to make it all work. Rick

If you got millings from a local wood shop and they collected for you. You could go right to the pellet machine. I would think a shifter would keep the dies safe. If it was grass clippings you could mow and make pellets. Leaves would be the same as grass clipping. basic yard equipment.

This wouldn't be something you could make pellet for loads of friends to sell. Its kind of a personal unit and you would work all summer long just to get the winters supply.

Really we are only dreaming and it would be fun to tinker. But It would be like doing firewood again! NOT!!!

j-takeman said:
...Really we are only dreaming and it would be fun to tinker...

I gotcha. Just trying to learn from the experts here. And believe me, I understand completely...about both the dreaming and the tinkering. :) Rick

slvrblkk said:
BLIMP said:
cracked my glass on the 25 last yr playing with sawdust, it gassified & exploded when i wasnt looking

I kind of figured that's how "you knew"!!!!! doh!
can do now= gotta play the humidity so it dont smolder

BLIMP said:
slvrblkk said:
BLIMP said:
cracked my glass on the 25 last yr playing with sawdust, it gassified & exploded when i wasnt looking

I kind of figured that's how "you knew"!!!!! doh!
can do now= gotta play the humidity so it dont smolder

Buy the machine to pelletize the dust. The heat from the die will take out lots of moisture! Almost half the amount so I am told. You start with a cold die you keep throwing the pellets right back in until the dies get good n hot. Then you make the pellets. Yes I have seen a few small mills and a big mill(grass pellet thread) in action. Neat process and would love to play some day!

Did the auger load the pot or were you hand loading?

Must be PTO driven I'm guessing... very smart use of a Ford rear end assembly...

Status
Not open for further replies.