This is some gnarly hickory or walnut!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevreh

Dec 9, 2016
Virginia
This stuff is a pain to split. Cut the tree down last summer, so its been "drying" for 8+ months. Splits apart like string cheese, very tough. Will I have any regrets when I go to burn it next winter?

Wanted to check before I put a lot of time into splitting it. I rented a splitter, but not sure if I'll have enough time to get it done over the weekend. Very slow going. Usually logs break apart pretty easy, this stuff really puts up a fight when splitting. It just doesn't want to break clean!

On the plus side, all the loose, stringy, parts will light up nice and fast once its cured.

:mad:

Attachments

• 20180309_181537.jpg
    20180309_181537.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 481
That looks more like American Elm to me
and that is why I bought a splitter

Doesn’t look like Shag Bark Hickory to me, Walnut should be a lot darker & any I have ever split, split very easily. Looks more like Elm to me also but my wood ID skills have been shown to be a little lacking sometimes.

Looks like you used dynamite to split that!

American Elm. Even with a splitter you’ll end up with some pieces that are just big stringy balls which hardly resemble a piece of firewood. Good firewood though :cool:

I should have mentioned throughout the summer and fall it used to drop @1-2” nut pods. And in the spring it would drop those strings of seeds. Very messy. Don’t think this fits an elm. ?

9734E275-A7A0-4ED2-AE1A-F6439423E04F.jpeg

Were the seeds like this?

That looks like elm to me either winged or American. Elm is a pretty decent firewood once seasoned. It doesn’t coal as good as hickory though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks more like Gum to me. Not a good picture to tell from really... and it's definately not walnut or hickory.

012E8CCA-51BC-4F64-A5D8-1E2E9315FA1D.jpeg
For what it’s worth, here are a few pieces of Elm I split a couple months ago. Is Gum stringy just like this? I haven’t dealt with it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't clearly see bark from pic of op's post, but the way it 'splits', and light color of wood it looks light sweetgum.

I should have mentioned throughout the summer and fall it used to drop @1-2” nut pods.
Just read second post from op. sweetgum balls ? More pics

Looks like my sweet gum find earlier. I tried to split one and put all of it in a pile to be split later with a rental splitter.

530d826b14b291d5bb7012f2950b1d1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This stuff is a pain to split. Cut the tree down last summer, so its been "drying" for 8+ months. Splits apart like string cheese, very tough. Will I have any regrets when I go to burn it next winter?

Wanted to check before I put a lot of time into splitting it. I rented a splitter, but not sure if I'll have enough time to get it done over the weekend. Very slow going. Usually logs break apart pretty easy, this stuff really puts up a fight when splitting. It just doesn't want to break clean!

On the plus side, all the loose, stringy, parts will light up nice and fast once its cured.

:mad:
Another vote for Elm. Tough to split but good firewood.

For all you guys saying elm...elm doesn't have 1-2" seed balls. That would be Gum.

Reactions: JimBear
Pignut hickory. They have worm like flowers in the spring and drop heavy hulled nuts in the fall.

I think it could be that Pignut Hickory. It had those "worm like" flowers, like in this photo;
http://www.rnr.lsu.edu/plantid/species/pignuthick/images/CARgl64_web.jpg

That photo came from this page;
http://www.rnr.lsu.edu/plantid/species/pignuthick/pignuthick.htm

It was tall, straight, and somewhat slender, like this photo;
https://store.speedtree.com/site-assets/uploads/store-images/hickory_pignut_hero_forest.jpg

And nut pods looked like this;
http://www.discoverlife.org/IM/I_TQBH/0114/320/Carya_glabra,I_TQBH11405.jpg

Leaf pattern was also similar. I would eliminate the elm, not the same shape, leaf pattern and shape, seed pod look, etc...

I spent a good part of the weekend splitting it with the gas powered splitter I rented. Went fine, no clean breaks, every piece was fibrous. Most had to be pull apart by hand a bit (splitters go 95% of the way). Some logs needed to be have the fibers split by a small hatchet.

Looks like Elm! I "split" some of that a few months back and posted about it. It smells bad and is a major pain to split, but should make decent firewood once it's dry.

Hickory usually smells like cow manure a bit when you split it, did this have any odor to it?