This is where I will get my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they not use pulp wood out there or is that stuff so dead when they cut it, that it can't be used? Or are they so short they can't be used?

We don't have piles around. Here like that. As a forester I would gtrak out if I saw that waste on one of my jobs. That's a merchandising nightmare!!![/quoteeeseY

Yes, there are pulp mills here, about an hour away, and they have plenty of wood up that area. This wood, I believe is too short to be hauled. It is the shorts from the processor.

I hate it when they make that stuff inaccessible to the average guy. They should put those piles right near the road so folks can get to them. What a waste. On a side note, whenever I get in a situation like that I like to just get log length pieces in the pickup. Then I can cut them up at home. I get more loads that way without wondering if today is the day they put a match to my firewood piles. Jeez it just makes me sick to see so many BTU's wasted. Wish I was there. Ha

I have tried doing the 8' lengths home, but, found that it makes too much of a mess of the yard. Just easier to cut it out there. Not too worried right now about them burning them as it is too hot and dry out there. And, for this year, I nearly have my yard full.
I understand why they can't put them beside the road, but, I do wish that they would put a little road in to them. I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
Yes sir real dried out Pine is a great resource. You probably don't have a lot of choice like us down here. Good stuff.

Yes sir real dried out Pine is a great resource. You probably don't have a lot of choice like us down here. Good stuff.

Nope, not much choice at all up here. Balsam, pine, pine and more pine.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I have tried doing the 8' lengths home, but, found that it makes too much of a mess of the yard. Just easier to cut it out there. Not too worried right now about them burning them as it is too hot and dry out there. And, for this year, I nearly have my yard full.
I understand why they can't put them beside the road, but, I do wish that they would put a little road in to them. I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much.
I'm with you on the cutting out in the bush rather than at home, keep the mess out there.
I don't think they are interested in building an access road for the same reason they decommission the main logging roads as soon as they can,,,,, liability. If they build an access road then they are responsible for maintaining it and if someone wrecks their vehicle or gets hurt on the road then they can hold them responsible for not maintaining the road properly. It's a shame because there is sure a lot of good wood in there.

BTW where exactly in central BC are those slash piles, they are a lot bigger than the ones I see around here in the Similkameen area.

I'm with you on the cutting out in the bush rather than at home, keep the mess out there.
I don't think they are interested in building an access road for the same reason they decommission the main logging roads as soon as they can,,,,, liability. If they build an access road then they are responsible for maintaining it and if someone wrecks their vehicle or gets hurt on the road then they can hold them responsible for not maintaining the road properly. It's a shame because there is sure a lot of good wood in there.

BTW where exactly in central BC are those slash piles, they are a lot bigger than the ones I see around here in the Similkameen area.

Ya, I'm sure it would be a liability issue as to why they don't build roads to it, and, they would have to keep it off the road for when they burn the piles. Oh well, we just build our own roads in, and get what we can, when we can.
These piles are between Vanderhoof, and Fort St. James. Lots of logging up this area, and years of beetle kill still in the bushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.