This looks vintage..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodMann

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2008
New Mexico
Something by Eagle Stoveworks anyone seen something like this...............
Stovec.gif

Old railroad stove. Used to be one in each passenger car.

THanks, Bart- are they good for the home(legal)? It's not very heavy- I could man handle it around myself............

If it's solid, I would recommend taking it apart and reassembling with furnace cement to seal it up. Then, as said, it would be great with coal, but can burn wood, too. It would be totally legal as long as you use the huge clearances specified for it.

THanks guys- it does look to be in good shape, a little sanding off of the little oxidation here and there and a fresh coat of paint..........

I'd try a torch on an inconspicuous location to determine if the white paint is high temp. It may have been painted with regular paint for cosmetics, just for show and not for go. If so the paint will need to be stripped before repainting with high temp paint. If the torch scorches or bubbles the paint, remove it.

BeGreen said:
I'd try a torch on an inconspicuous location to determine if the white paint is high temp. It may have been painted with regular paint for cosmetics, just for show and not for go. If so the paint will need to be stripped before repainting with high temp paint. If the torch scorches or bubbles the paint, remove it.
Was thinking the same thing.

Just askin' if it would be OK in a house. I prolly won't do anything with it really, it's the girlfreinds and I don't know if/ wht she might have planned for it.................

I think it sounds like we all agree that it should be fine to use as long as you look it over really well, and then prep it appropriately. I'm pretty sure we all agree that aside from being cute and interesting, there are many better options if you are looking for actual regular heat.

That being said, I'd love to have a stove like that in my house and if it was all hooked up right, I'd use it a couple times a week in cold weather for kicks.

Cleaned up and painted it should be able to hold up just about any plant imaginable.

It would go great with a Jotul side table for remotes and lamp.

My BIL had one of those in the small basement of one of his houses years. ago. The worst part was reloading it, it was like standing next to a blast furnace.

Btw, I was thinking that is a small one, how big is it? Is the base more around 20" wide or just over a foot? If it's bigger then it might be like the one I'm slowly putting back together...

I have a railroad stove in my camp in NY very similar to that one. It's a coal stove that we burn wood in. It puts out a lot of heat but you have to reload it every 40 min. We have to leave an amble amount of ash in the bottom the help limit the amount of air coming in from the bottom. My camp that has no insulation, just open studded walls. For that style camp it is a serviceable stove. I would not use this type of stove in my house.

It's around 2 feet high. Eyeballin' it I'd say the base is around 20". It does look like a relic of the past.........

Status
Not open for further replies.