This make no sense

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
So I loaded about an hour ago with 3 large splits. The temp above the door is at 520 with the air 80% or so closed. I looked outside at the chimney, and there is still some blue smoke coming out. I did not expect that with the temps I was at. The glass is relatively clean and the wood I am burning i think is pretty dry. I have never gotten the stove to you about 525 or so on the door. Why would this be and what is with the smoke?

What wood? I'd say it may not be as dry as you think! sorry. How long after reload did you go look? You could expect 15-20 minutes of smoke....

What do you see in the firebox? Flames coming off the wood? Rolling flames up at the baffle? There has to be something flaming in there to consume the smoke no matter what temp it is at.

I think the wood is an oak. Both the logs and the baffles were flaming. I looked about an hour after reload. Is this creating creosote?

Did you close the air all at once to 20%, or step it down in increments? I find the stove much likelier to smoke if I slam the air mostly shut right from wide open, regardless of temps.

It's really not about the temp above the door. It's about having adequate air at a high enough temp for good secondary combustion.

If you are asking is it making creosote in the chimney, probably not. The pipe is probably hot enough that nothing will stick. Now is it making creosote on your car, that is another question.

As far as closing down the air, it depends on how the fire looks. If everything is charred and there are lots of flames from everywhere, I will shut it down to low in 1 step... I know that is the wrong answer.... When shutting down in steps, how long do you let it stay at one air setting when in the process of reducing the air?

chris2879 said:
When shutting down in steps, how long do you let it stay at one air setting when in the process of reducing the air?

Depends on the stove, and the fire, but for me when reloading it's about 5 min each at full, 3/4, 1/2, and then I burn at 1/4 or less. I have a downdraft stove, so burn-baffle users might have a different take on this.

It really depends on several factors including the stove, the wood and the flue. Often I can do it in 3 steps - full open, half and all the way closed (it never really closes all the way). But for locust, I need to keep the air open about 1/4 for a longer part of the burn. Use your eyes as a guide. Close down the air until the flames get lazy, then wait, usually about 5 minutes, but maybe a bit longer, for the fire to regain intensity. Then repeat by closing it down further until the flames get lazy. With practice you will find this becomes second nature.

BeGreen said:
But for locust, I need to keep the air open about 1/4 for a longer part of the burn.

The oak may also require more air - it does for me.

Oak also requires more seasoning for many stoves (two years for me), though apparently green oak does well for some.

I agree branchburner. Around here we won't burn oak until it has been split and stacked 3 years. And yes, it will usually require more air.

Status
Not open for further replies.