This old house segment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I burned about a cord.of pitch pine earlier this season. 13 percent mc or so.
Needle often near 2 pm.
Full box gets 18-20 hrs with the need for BTUs I have around freezing.
yeah. I'll admit I was totally surprised. I loaded a little more volume than I would normally, using oak or hickory as a basis for a 8 hour burn time target, knowing pine has a lot less BTU's than oak. I set the thermostat where I would for oak, figuring the spring would automatically meter out the difference to keep output roughly the same.

I think output was probably lower, and the BTU math on burn time would support that. But on the flip side, I'm totally blown away by the consistently high cat probe temperature, and the fact that I had to go to WOT throttle late in the evening to try to burn this thing down far enough for a comfortable bedtime reload.

Definitely more punch than I had expected for eastern white pine. As noted, these were extremely knotty pieces, way heavier than nice straight grain stuff, which probably helped a good bit on the BTU scale, both by weight and high resin content around knots.

Reactions: stoveliker