1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

This should be everyones resolution for 2013

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by silverfox103, Jan 2, 2013.

1. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    I have a few throughout the house but I needed to replace 2 this year.
    One safety item that I purchased was a metal ash pail. I went from using an ash vac to a small shop vac. I wait until the stove cools down then vac. I usually put the shop vac outside on the patio overnight, just in case. Now I put the ash in a metal pail outside the way it should be.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sinnian

sinnian Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Limerick, Maine
    2 in the garage (1 "portable" for when using te small boat or transporting the snowmobile)

1 in the kitchen

2 at the top of the basement stairwell ~ 1 abc and 1 for grease fires

1 LARGE one at the bottom of the basement stairwell

1 near the pellet boiler

Wired with battery back up detectors on every floor, with the basement one having a built in CO detector

Battery detector at the top of the basement stairwell, in the family room, in the upstairs hallway, and in the garage

Battery CO detector in the garage, and at the top of the basement stairwell

Electric with battery backup CO detector in the family room (have a gas Jotul that's on pilot 99% of the time in there)
  3. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    Last year I didn't have one but this year I have 2...put one in the kitchen plus one down in the stove room...i know that red container doesn't go with many peoples decorations but I put mine in a cabinet in the kitchen and a cabinet in the laundry room which is near the stove room...I told everyone in the house where it is and we went over how to use it
  4. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Got em, but great reminder for those who don't.
  5. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    you should have never even typed that last sentence...should have ended with...call fire department

the last we/they need is to worry about a homeowner going back inside trying to fight the fire
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  6. Cozy Old Coot

Cozy Old Coot Member

Loc:
    Maryland's Eastern Shore

Have two 10 lb ones in the house, 1 in the kitchen and the other 1 in the laundry room.
    Have three 20 lb ones in the garage, 1 near the welder, 1 near the cutting torches, and 1 by the grinder.
    All have gauges and are checked every other year by a local extingusher company.
  7. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    CO detectors have a shorter life span then smoke detectors. Couple of the ones I checked were only 5 years. Dry extingushers should be tipped and lightly rapped on the side with a plastic mallet regularly to keep the carbonate and phoshate from bricking up. One can feel and hear the filling moving when you slowly tip. When I taught thier use I tried to show that a quick thump or two on the ground or floor could possibly keep the filling flowing when used.
    will711 and SwineFlue like this.