This Vortex is Kicking my insert's azz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need to be able to use all of the glass doors? Could you get some of the shrink film window kits and seal up the doors and windows on the inside behind the curtains? It's not much but it does create a small dead air space that provides at least some level of insulation over the glass.
I'm fighting an uphill battle with the Buck at my MIL's house. Stove room at one end of the house (luckily, it has two doors to the living room. She never hangs out in the 3 warmest rooms of the house. Ceilings are 9.5'. No wall insulation, but the upstairs is closed off and insulates the downstairs to a degree, I guess. Plaster walls...lotta thermal mass to heat. Stove room has all glass on 3 sides, and a little more between it and a glassed-in porch. A single-pane transom is above all the windows. Over the last couple months, I've put plastic over 2 sides, one 13' and one 21'. 21' glass wall is the worst offender, with aluminum storm windows, the 13' walls are wood storms so probably better. I used the 3M plastic that's made to be used outdoors. Good stuff, but they recommend it be about 50* out to install it. I can't really tell how much difference the plastic has made, but I also put some door seals on last year, so that's gotta help. My next move is to rent a loose insulation blower. The ceiling in the stove room has some rolled fiberglass but I wanna blow about a foot of loose insulation on top of that, through an access hole.
http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=3M+window+insulator+kit
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Build...Weatherstrip-Kit-69938/205545482?N=5yc1vZc3dy

I have a engineered wood floor and yes there is a passive solar effect but you would not know it on a day like today. Burrrrrrrrr......................oak
Black Ceramic tile works best, my south facing room will be in the 80s today with only the sun to thank.

Status
Not open for further replies.