This weeks wood scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
Not the highest quality firewood, but all it cost me was a little time and effort, and it is for spring and fall fuel at the lake cottage.

Took down a couple of 18 inch or so diameter poplars from a neighbor's vacant lot, one was a real leaner. Cut, split and stacked them. Got a full face cord out of it as you can see in the photo. Might be ready by next fall to mix in with the hardwood. Also got some maple from power company trimming, shown in the foreground

Then went up to a house my sister bought from a foreclosure sale, she's getting ready to rent it out. There's a bunch of white pine and cedar on the ground from when the lot was cleared a few years ago. Since I had to make the 15 mile or so run up there to deliver her some leftover vinyl siding I had on hand, figured what the heck. The pine was already bucked in to 18 inch rounds, so loaded up the trailer with them and some of the cedar logs, as shown in the other photo. There are probably 5 or 6 more such loads. Split most of the pine today before the rains came, it is really dry, except for a few rounds that were a bit punky, they’ll become campfire wood.

Attachments

• woodscore2.jpg
    woodscore2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 307
  • woodscore1.jpg
    woodscore1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 311
Nicely done..scrounge is cool.

Nice job ADKjake, I hope to get some popple bucked and split for the 2011-2012 heating season this summer. I have a feeling inflation is going set in here soon so I'm cutting straight through the summer up to hunting season.

Zap

except for some of the big gnarly rounds, the poplar/cottonwood/whatever you call it in your region
split without too much effort. Wasn't sure how wet green poplar would split, but did OK. Used a maul and
only had to resort to the wedge a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.