1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Those damned WINTER MOTHS

Post in 'The Green Room' started by GVA, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Just wondering how everyone else on the coast is with regard to the winter moths? It hit 70* degrees here today and there are thousands on my trees laying eggs for the spring, I think this upcoming year is gonna be bad and lots of trees will die(good for the scroungers bad for people who like shade).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    moth eggs/moths = added BTU's!
  3. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Yes it is going to be a nother bad year for them.
  4. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wow I guess not many people have a clue what a winter moth is or what it is doing to the trees, I thought this thread would be a bit more active...... But it is a coastal phenomenon and I guess it's not known to too many people.. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This year I'm getting big some hornets in the wood pile. It's been mild and they seem to have taken up overwintertering somewhere in there. They're harmless, too sluggish to do anything, but can get lively once they get feeling some indoor warmth. I've been inspecting the wood coming indoors a bit more closely now.
  6. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    It's only gotten bad around here the last 2-3 years. You'r right about people not knowing a lot about them. They will find out when thier trees start dieing.
  7. Turner-n-Burner

Turner-n-Burner New Member

Loc:
    North of Boston
    I had a big problem with them this last spring - first time I ever noticed them. I'll be spraying for them in the spring, you can be sure !

I haven't seen any activity lately though - wonder if that's just your location?

-Dan
  8. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Around the golf courses we call them "gypsy moths" whateva there called I know the fairways will be alot wider in a few years.
  9. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    They're not gypsy moths, they are worse.
    Heres a quick link for you dylan (with the latin name) and a brief description of what is going on up here.
    Be warned They are coming to Conneticut.
    Lucky for some of you they tend to stay closer to the coastline because it's warmer in the winter near the ocean... Me I'm about 500 yards from the ocean.... I'm so screwed I don't think my maples will make it another year, hopefully better sprays will come about this year.

www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/defoliators/winter_moth.pdf
    And this past spring I think we were spared a bit because of that 20+" of rain back in may.
  10. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Probably the WORSE thing you can do with regards to Gypsy moths is spray.
    They have a cyclical life cycle and spraying them prevents the population from getting stressed to the point where they get a virus.
    You can google it to get that info but I called off spraying them last year for that reason......... then my sh!thead neighbor had a commercial crew come in and spray everything on his property.
  11. Turner-n-Burner

Turner-n-Burner New Member

Loc:
    North of Boston
    To quote Geoff one more time.... We are not talking about the gypsy moths... The white winter moths are different. They product little green inch-worm type caterpillars. You barely even notice them, until you realize that your trees are dropping their leaves in June...

-Dan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.