Those elusive 'blue' flames....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Had a beautiful 'blue' flame show last night & I tried to capture it on video - not too lucky though. The temp was around 470 °F and it lasted for more than an hour or so.

I just got to see that yesterday for the first time with my Oslo. Something else to hardly see any flames on the wood but a hovering blue cloud by the secondary burn tubes! $2,000 for the Jotul, some more cash for chimneys-seeing the Oslo in action-Priceless!

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot in our stove when it gets cold. Switching to locust this year for the coldest weather.

Just getting an error when I click on the video for some reason.

Jake, try it vertically.

Well, the link works for me but as I said the blue flames are elusive - don't even know if you can see them.

In person, though, they are mezmorizing....... :)

Shari, I didn't have time to read the new posts today, but accidentally started a new post this evening since I had blue secondaries tonight also. I was asking what the color meant, starving for air, or right on the money? It is a good thing. The stove was running just around 500*. I have only seen orange/yellow secondaries with the F-100 last season.

fishingpol said:
Shari, I didn't have time to read the new posts today, but accidentally started a new post this evening since I had blue secondaries tonight also. I was asking what the color meant, starving for air, or right on the money? It is a good thing. The stove was running just around 500*. I have only seen orange/yellow secondaries with the F-100 last season.

Yes, I saw your post too and knew your fire was burning 'just right'. :) Those flames are awesome but getting a picture of them is just like trying to capture a picture of a ghost = "Ghost Flames" I shall call them.

Shari

It's hard to capture those blue flames on video or camera, I've tried a few times and it just doesn't look the same as the real thing. Maybe I need a new expensive camera?

Here's a segment of them in the Castine. I'll have to try to catch some when we burn locust. They are cool.

Hmmm . . . still cannot see Shari's video, but BeGreen's video came through fine.

BeGreen said:
I suspect we'll be seeing a lot in our stove when it gets cold. Switching to locust this year for the coldest weather.

Is this the first year you've got hardwood available to burn? Did you scrounge it or buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.