Those nasty,gnarly,hard to split rounds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adirondackwoodburner said:
thats why I have a splitter..I have never had one tha I couldnt split with my 31 ton splitter. Had one once that I had to re-ram..You put a another split in between the ram and the wood and then have that push into the wedge..Works like a charm. I guess the less ram that is out there the more power you have?

not when it bogs the motor down then kills it if I kept the handle pulled I know most of the tricks but I still had one that just laughed at the splitter. well the joke was on it cause it got burned ah the best kind of heat revenge heat. Who said "revenge is a dish best served cold" must not have split much wood lol

Some pieces you just know when you get to them that it aint gonna happen. You still try and after a valiant effort the light finally goes on in your head..........hey! that piece will fit in the side door :)

I had one that I just didnt want to give up on last year and I finally threw it into the stack pile out of disgust. I was putting wood in the woodbox when the wife said "hey, whats this" the piece was all splintered up on one end and the crotch where it wouldnt come apart was still intact. I told her, put that piece aside and drank a few bourbons as I watched it burn!

Those big uglies sure burn nice.

Before getting a splitter, I used 2 wood grenades. If one wood grenade popped out I would take a handful of sand and pour some in the hole it popped out of. Also flipping the wood over and attacking the other end proved useful also, but sometimes nothing worked. Now I move a handle on our 27ton splitter..... I also cut to 20 inches now for my Oslo. There was no way in hell I would think of splitting some of the pignut hickory rounds by hand this past spring....I would still be out there hand hacking our grapple load.

WoodButcher

mtarbert said:
I keep a seperate pile of the pieces that were especially hard to split. I remember every one of them and take particular joy in placing them in the fire for their final defeat......I think this stuff is getting to me....
Mike

My experience exactly. I still have a large pile of these "Uglies" in the woodshed. An old time woodcutter showed me how to use a chainsaw on them. They've had their little joke but come spring, I'll have the last laugh.

Roots are the worst stuff to deal with wont split and lots of dirt to screw up the chainsaw. I leave them till the rain washes off most of the dirt. I like burning roots once broken up.

If I can get it through the door, the GW will burn it!! Other wise, cut her into bite size with the stihl!!

Status
Not open for further replies.