Thoughts about Wood insert pro's and con's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JSangrey said:
Haha, you got that right. Do you think Lopi makes a good stove ? I am interested in others feedback that may have experience with there stoves and craftmanship. Thanks for your comments

After I decided against soapstone (just personal taste), all my research pointed to Jotul or Lopi for what we needed. PE makes great stoves too, but they were hard to find locally, as were Blaze Kings.

par0thead151 said:
JSangrey said:
So I decided on the Lopi Declaration Plus fireplace insert I believe. I am just trying to find the best deal on it now. I showed my wife the Enviro Venice 1700 and she didnt like the looks of it. She thinks anything but a flush mount is going to look funny with our mantle right above it. I don't know, nothing against the ladies out there but sometimes women can be a bit picky. Us men are all about funtionality ! I liked that Enviro Venice, but she likes the Lopi. She wins, but either way I get a stove out of it hopefully. If anyone has any feedback on the Lopi brand I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I am looking for a place that sells stainless chimney lines for a reasonable price. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks for everyones feedback.

photos to show your wife.
sometimes seeing it in a photo is easier than imagining it.
DSCN5396.jpg
DSCN5393.jpg
Damn. That Venice would have looked pretty nice in my fireplace. Oh well.

JSangrey said:
Haha, you got that right. Do you think Lopi makes a good stove ? I am interested in others feedback that may have experience with there stoves and craftmanship. Thanks for your comments
Lopi makes very good stoves. Lots of happy owners around here. That being said, I would try and sell your wife on something that isn't flush mounted.

Try taking a picture of your setup and photoshopping different inserts onto it. Might help the wife visualize things a little better.

Buy an insert with a big enough firebox to function as a primary heater for your space. Many people start with the intention of burning for supplemental heat or ambiance, then they regret that they aren't getting as much heat or burn time as they would like.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely do that. I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of the fireplace. I have been pretty busy lately. Maybe I will try to take some tonight if I get a chance. This is a awesome forum for us that enjoy the simpler things in life. I think I am starting to get addicted.

Hey, I have a question for anyone who can help me. I am looking at the Quadra-fire Voyageur and the Lopi declaration fireplace inserts. I was wondering why the BTU rating on the Lopi is so much higher than that of the Quadra-fire. Both of the inserts are relatively the same size, so I can't see anything that would justify one being a higher BTU rating than the other. The BTU on the Lopi is 76,000 vs. Quadra-fires 45,000. That is huge ! Please let me know if I am looking at this wrong or if anyone can explain I would appreciate it. I seem to like the Quadra-fire because it is a little cheaper and gives me the same look as the Lopi. Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.