Thoughts after one week with our Hampton HI300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
1) This is one of the best purchases I have made for my home, and not something to skimp on. There is a reason people on this forum say to buy something that you will enjoy looking at all year long for many years to come.

2)I am amazed at how little ash it has produced, and how easy it is to start up a new load from a bed of coals. We hardly ever need to use kindling.

3)The blower is pretty good. High speed is a little loud if you're in the room watching tv, but great to push that heat out. Low is barely even noticeable. Does tend to cycle on and off alot on auto setting if it's in a certain temp zone, easily remedied by putting it on manual.

4)I am completely AMAZED that it keeps our oil furnace from kicking on most of the time, and it's set to 66. Our thermostat is on the exact opposite corner of the house, up 4 stairs, in a 2700 sf house. I think our floorplan is very conducive to the heat being moved around. It is actually a little chilly UPSTAIRS now because the furnace hasn't been on pushing the heat up there.

5)The glass does get a little fogged (hardly noticeable), but I haven't adjusted the door latch yet as per the manual, so I'm thinking that will take care of it.

6)My wife thinks it's very easy to operate, and my 6 year old is in love with it- wants to load it, scoop out the ashes, etc. Even got him helping me tote and stack the wood outside. :coolsmile:

7)We are no longer chilly at night while watching the tube, nice and comfy in a t-shirt now!!! We are thrilled with our purchase and are so happy to be burning again! Glad to be back amongst the woodburners...

7)We are no longer chilly at night while watching the tube, nice and comfy in a t-shirt now!!!

i'm also got a new stove in sept. i think it was and i think that is my favoite part... its so nice and warm in here now. i remember last year having the oil burner set at 66 - 68* and sitting here watching tv with a sweat shirt and a blanket over my feet and still beeing uncomfortable... now like you said its tee-shirt and shorts... oil burner has only run once this year so far.. gotta love that... wish i bough a stove sooner

3)The blower is pretty good. High speed is a little loud if you're in the room watching tv, but great to push that heat out. Low is barely even noticeable. Does tend to cycle on and off alot on auto setting if it's in a certain temp zone, easily remedied by putting it on manual.

one of my main complaints is the noise of the blower, I wish there was a dial on it, I think low is too low and high too loud, maybe there is a way to jerry rig it somehow but I've never done any searches ....(yet)

5)The glass does get a little fogged (hardly noticeable), but I haven't adjusted the door latch yet as per the manual, so I'm thinking that will take care of it.

I haven't noticed any fogging . . but my wife has not snugged it totally closed a couple times, kind of like a car door, yeah its closed and won't come open but if it rains it'll get in

I wonder if you could add a dimmer switch to it to regulate the power , hence regulate the blower speed?

I'm 2 weeks into mine. Happy with the look, lack of blower noise, no smoke issues, and the clear glass.

Dis-satisfied with the heat out of it here in central mass, and the thing is ripping thru wood. I have read some other blogs about the damper seal, I will have to pull it out and recheck. I have takled to the eal a couple of times. And he has given me so yips, but nothing is working.

Aslo have a call in for the rep to come out. Too much money for not enough heat. 600 sqft room, stays 70 if the temp outside in above 25, but when it was on 2 degrees last week, I could only get mey room to 62.

Status
Not open for further replies.