thoughts from a newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vasten

Nov 11, 2007
Upstate NY
I recently received an email reminding everyone that it is that time again to fire up those woodstoves and to get ready to start posting. Since wood burners are especially friendly folk we are always willing to share our opinion on wood burning, weather you ask it or not, here are some of the tips I have learned so far.

General rule for anyone but especially newbies. When buying your wood make sure you get it from a reputable source, not because you dont want to be shorted, but because you have to have well seasoned wood. Hard starting, smokey fires with lazy dull flames, poor heat out put and creosote are all signs of bad wood.

If you are in doubt of the wood quality split it again. Wood dries from the outside in, split a few pieces on a warm day and if the inside feels cool and damp then odds are it is not properly seasoned. Just because the person selling it says he cut the trees two years ago doesn't mean the wood is seasoned. I always ask how long has it been split, if it is less than 6 mos I go to the next person.

Also bigger is not always better, I have found that larger chunks do last longer in the stove but dont throw the heat smaller chunks do. Plus you can stack more wood in the fire box if they are split smaller than usual. I have gotten in the habit now, after unknowingly buying and burning unseasoned wood, of resplitting all my wood. Instead of getting only two or three nice chunks in the firebox I now get a good half dozen and I dont need to have the air inlet wide open to keep it going I can neck it way down and get more heat and longer burn times.

If you are a newbie out there that is really serious about it, invest in a good saw and splitter, as your best value is always, log loads. Not only do you get a better value, but you custom cut the wood to your preference and know how long it has been split and seasoned. And that alone can make it worth while.

If you are indoubt of who and where to get your wood from take a ride someday and look for someone tending their wood pile stop and ask they usually will be more than willing to tell you who is reputable to buy from and reasonably priced. I did and a few people actually gave me armfuls of wood to take home and try out, gotta love free samples.

Also be safe, keep animals and kids clear of the stove. And always always know the condition of your chinmey, when in doubt clean it and have it inspected.
Just thoughts from a second year wood burner to other newbies, it may seem obvious but never hurts to repeat it. Happy wood burning.

Vasten, that is a good post. However, I would argue one point with you and that is that you will actually get longer burns from larger splits and/or whole logs unsplit. True, is small fireboxes it is tougher to get them in, so you may have to mix them, but overall, the larger ones will burn longer. That's what you use at night and in the coldest part of the winter.

Filling the firebox with all small splits, you can pack it better, but the fire will also burn hotter and therefore will burn up the load much faster. Hope this helps.

Thoughts from someone who has done this awhile:

If possible, get two years out on your wood. Moisture content becomes a moot point if you get your wood delivered.

I know that this approach is not always possible with storage issues and such, but if it can be done, do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.