Thoughts on 24 ton splitter from Harbor Frieght

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, just be patient. The perfect splitter will turn up in time. I watched Craigslist for several weeks, sometimes checking every 15 minutes or so. One night a new listing popped up. It said "New Huskee 35 ton Splitter - $1000." I responded immediately. She assured me it had never been used even though it was seven years old. She said the price was firm. I told her that if it checked out when I saw it, I'd pay her the $1000. It took a few days for our schedules to work where I could go into Houston to see it. She told me I was first in line but a lot of other people were waiting to see if I bought it. I was actually afraid that she'd end up selling to someone who offered her more money but she assured me that it was mine if I wanted it.
The thing was pristine. Perfect paint. Not the slightest scratch or rub on the beam, or anywhere else - no wood had ever touched it. No gasoline had ever even been in the tank. I brought it home, put some gas in it and fired on the second pull. Thirty Five tons is really more than I need but I couldn't pass up this deal. I've put maybe two cords through it now.

So, the deals are out there. Just take your time and, as has been said already, you might find much better deals come Spring or Summer.

I built a fast hydraulic one that cost me 1800.00 but the powerplant to run it cost 18,000.00.

:lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
I too would recommend the Huskee over the Harbor Freight. Get the cheap one and something breaks or whatever and you can't find parts so you end up having to make something which adds to the expense and frustration.

fwiw, our 20 ton MTD is over 20 years old and trouble free, although the engine is now starting to burn some oil. Not too bad though considering splitting over 200 cord of wood.

A Briggs? Re-Ring it now, valve seats re-conditioned if needed and it go another 20 years trouble free.

Gasifier said:
Anyone own or used one of these?

I've owned a 25 hh for a few years now. I got it with the lift,4 way, log table,and Honda. It' very well made ,and has been very reliable.

I have the 30 ton HF model that looks like that.
Looking at the manual, the engine sure seems to be the 9 hp Subaru Robin engine like mine.
I love that engine. Very easy to pull (auto compression release, I think). Starts every time.
I've had two pretty significant problems though.
-The bolt in the cylinder that holds everything together was loose, causing a leak. It was easy to retorque, but it could've been bad. They probably addressed that by now.
-The tank leaked through some bad welding at the bottom where it attaches to the frame. I glopped some stuff on there, an it doesn't leak too much now anymore.

I've put about 20 cords through it, and everything else is fine, knock on wood.

30t hf, 12 years, motor, pump lovejoy and cylinder still good. used and abused for 10 years before rebuilding it to a much higher level construction wise. Wedge design not the best for crotches and other knarly stuff. Recommend welding spacer plates to wedge plate as their 3 piece design does not hold alignment well. Constrictions in the hydro piping ( all 90deg fittins that are restricted internally) and location of return port (no baffle - air entrainment in oil) cause overheating of oil. That said the unit preformed as well as anything else in its price range, 7-10 cords a year. I did bend the beam and the foot plate rather early on ( learning curve?) with some nasty crotch pieces as well as rounds that were 30" or better in diameter. I also had the the cylinder mount blow off ( poor weld) . To be fair I was majorly exceeding its price point design capabilities, and that would apply to any other brand price wise as well. It is now 2 seasons of splitting (around 40 cord) since construction of new beam, wedge, replacement of valve ( new Prince), additional small oil tank added, all fittings replaced with hi-flow versions,and all new lines installed. Temp. buildup has been reduced to what is considered normal operating range. The big 3, pump ,motor+coupler, and cylinder still going strong.

Gasifier said:
I don't know. I may just rent for now. I am also thinking about getting my brother to go in halves with me on a DR Rapidfire. Man those things are fast. $2400 bucks thow. OUCH! But talk about saving time!

sblattert, did not mean to take your thread over. Sorry about that. One other thing I am also considering, and you may want to as well, is buying a Troy built at Lowe's. They sell a 27 ton model for $1199. And you can get 0% financing for 6 months. As long as you pay it off in 6 months, its a good deal.

Nice thing about buying from a store is they will back up the splitter if something goes wrong that should not have. A little security.

Before you go to Lowes stop by the post office and ask for a change of address packet like you just moved intot he area. They contain a coupon (or did) for 10-20% off a purchase at Lowes or get a friend who was in the military and save their 10% vets discount. I use my old military id card everytime I go there and it is always honored.

yooperdave said:
harbor freight warranty is only 3 months on that unit. gotta wonder why, right?

I think what they do is lower the price and shorten the warranty. If you want the longer (more typical) warranty, you pay extra for the extended warranty. This goes toward evening out the overall price, compared to other brands. Just a different marketing strategy...

blades said:
30t hf, 12 years, motor, pump lovejoy and cylinder still good. used and abused for 10 years before rebuilding it to a much higher level construction wise. Wedge design not the best for crotches and other knarly stuff. Recommend welding spacer plates to wedge plate as their 3 piece design does not hold alignment well. Constrictions in the hydro piping ( all 90deg fittins that are restricted internally) and location of return port (no baffle - air entrainment in oil) cause overheating of oil. That said the unit preformed as well as anything else in its price range, 7-10 cords a year. I did bend the beam and the foot plate rather early on ( learning curve?) with some nasty crotch pieces as well as rounds that were 30" or better in diameter. I also had the the cylinder mount blow off ( poor weld) . To be fair I was majorly exceeding its price point design capabilities, and that would apply to any other brand price wise as well. It is now 2 seasons of splitting (around 40 cord) since construction of new beam, wedge, replacement of valve ( new Prince), additional small oil tank added, all fittings replaced with hi-flow versions,and all new lines installed. Temp. buildup has been reduced to what is considered normal operating range. The big 3, pump ,motor+coupler, and cylinder still going strong.

While I can respect the work that you put into your splitter, I, personally, don't want to work on the splitter. I want to work on the wood. While I like some of what HF sells, such as their moisture meter, I wouldn't purchase this splitter. I purchased a SpeeCo for $1250 on sale. It performs great. I don't worry about what I split. It just splits it.

Status
Not open for further replies.