Thoughts on eBay ms 660

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well I'm finally going to take the plunge for the 660 here soon. I was wondering if any of you have boughten saws off eBay and if it's a good idea or Shoukd I just go brand new. I Plan on using it for milling and some big trees I tend to run into quite often.

I would try cragslist before ebay. Ebay saw go for more than there worth most of the time.....Chris pick up a very nice 066 for 400.00.

Yup, EBay has morphed into a sellers market over the years. Try local and save a few bucks.

About 5 years ago I bought a Basically brand New 026 off ebay. Came with a case, 2 chains, stihl tool, and rat tail. all shipped for $315. I thought that was a decent deal since a new one cost $400 at the time. A year later I answered an ad on CL for a "chainsaw - $75". Went to look at it and it was faded from sun, no bar, no chain, didn't run, but I felt it had good compression when I pulled on the rope. 3rd pull broke the rope. I offered her $25 bucks. I bought 2 bars, a few chains, new rope, cleaned the carb, new gas and oil caps, and had to buy a new magnito. All for $180. That saw happened to be an 034AV.

All that to say I've had good luck on CL and Ebay but would definitely prefer CL since you can put the saw in your hands before you buy. Ebay would probably be fine now if you can find someplace to actually put your hands on the saw before you bid.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good info. Glad I checked before I went through with it. N e thing else I Should look at when buying a used saw.

seeyal8r said:
About 5 years ago I bought a Basically brand New 026 off ebay. Came with a case, 2 chains, stihl tool, and rat tail. all shipped for $315. I thought that was a decent deal since a new one cost $400 at the time. A year later I answered an ad on CL for a "chainsaw - $75". Went to look at it and it was faded from sun, no bar, no chain, didn't run, but I felt it had good compression when I pulled on the rope. 3rd pull broke the rope. I offered her $25 bucks. I bought 2 bars, a few chains, new rope, cleaned the carb, new gas and oil caps, and had to buy a new magnito. All for $180. That saw happened to be an 034AV.

All that to say I've had good luck on CL and Ebay but would definitely prefer CL since you can put the saw in your hands before you buy. Ebay would probably be fine now if you can find someplace to actually put your hands on the saw before you bid.

Good luck.

That's very similar to how my 034AV came to me! Mine was a ball 'o dirt that someone dropped off at the shop and said "See if it runs." After an estimate for a new bar & chain (toast and rusted solid too), carb (Original Tillotson's fuel inlet was cracked and parts were NLA unless you replaced the whole carb.), and a total disassemble/clean, he said "Nevermind, junk it.". The thing looked like hell (Been sitting out behind his woodshed for several years.) but compression felt good. Then the recoil spring broke, lol. Pulled the muffler and I'd never seen a piston/cylinder combo that clean on any used saw. After I totally disassembled it and cleaned it, it started to look pretty repectable. She now proudly wears a brand new 20" Stihl ES bar and 33RSC72 chains. Runs like the day it was new (replaced that carb) and makes me smile everytime I think I've only got about $125 bucks in it. :coolgrin:

Compression compression compression! Does it run and everything working. Know how much it is to fix each item. t-27 and pull the muff and look at it......

Status
Not open for further replies.