1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thoughts on radiant insulation

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by barnartist, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnartist

barnartist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jerusalem, Ohio;
    Is it wise to use the bubble aliminum foil as radiant barrier for under floor pex? Or should I invest in transfer plates instead-or MAAAAN do I need both?
    Iv'e got an 800sf area started with radiant. I am hoping I can use the lowest water temp with this setup vs baseboards.
    Oh, this is not a crawlspace, unfinished basement underneath.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RJP Electric

RJP Electric Member

Loc:
    N. New Hampshire
    Does your bubble aluminum foil have an R value? I used reflectix bubble wrap, it has a 6.0 r factor with a little airspace, I stapled it up a couple inches below the radiant. it works well with the water temp at 100*. They say your radiant insulation has to be equal or greater to the floor above. I have a 3/4 boards, carpet and padding probably best guess an R5. This is my first year, and it hasn't been too cold yet. If I need more I will put a layer of pink then in too.
  3. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I put staple up(if I'm using the term right) wirsbo radiant floor. There was aluminum plates that i put the wirsbo into. Did this from the basement below. Works well, but did not insulate after. I would recommend insulating with something decent. Plan on putting 1 inch sheet foam or r 11 fiberglass . Never thought too much of anything with the word "bubble" in the insulating value category. My .02 worth, but anything bubble style is a waste of your time.
  4. barnartist

barnartist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jerusalem, Ohio;
    I've heard bad things on the bubble, but mostly as a concrete install. Looks to be a common material in Florida to help keep the heat out. I am thinking it works well with air, and the reflectiveness of the foil would be a bonus. Bad news for me is, I have those type of floor joists that are made out of particle board, and 2X2" Like a wooden I-beam. this makes the cut on any 4' wide, or even 16" wide material too short to leave a lip to staple.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.