Thoughts on radiant insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
Is it wise to use the bubble aliminum foil as radiant barrier for under floor pex? Or should I invest in transfer plates instead-or MAAAAN do I need both?
Iv'e got an 800sf area started with radiant. I am hoping I can use the lowest water temp with this setup vs baseboards.
Oh, this is not a crawlspace, unfinished basement underneath.

Does your bubble aluminum foil have an R value? I used reflectix bubble wrap, it has a 6.0 r factor with a little airspace, I stapled it up a couple inches below the radiant. it works well with the water temp at 100*. They say your radiant insulation has to be equal or greater to the floor above. I have a 3/4 boards, carpet and padding probably best guess an R5. This is my first year, and it hasn't been too cold yet. If I need more I will put a layer of pink then in too.

I put staple up(if I'm using the term right) wirsbo radiant floor. There was aluminum plates that i put the wirsbo into. Did this from the basement below. Works well, but did not insulate after. I would recommend insulating with something decent. Plan on putting 1 inch sheet foam or r 11 fiberglass . Never thought too much of anything with the word "bubble" in the insulating value category. My .02 worth, but anything bubble style is a waste of your time.

I've heard bad things on the bubble, but mostly as a concrete install. Looks to be a common material in Florida to help keep the heat out. I am thinking it works well with air, and the reflectiveness of the foil would be a bonus. Bad news for me is, I have those type of floor joists that are made out of particle board, and 2X2" Like a wooden I-beam. this makes the cut on any 4' wide, or even 16" wide material too short to leave a lip to staple.

Status
Not open for further replies.