Thoughts on stove placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
20161121_044343.jpg 20161121_043838.jpg 20161119_045027.jpg
My wife and I are deliberating stove placement in our new to use home. House is an 1800 sqft ranch which is very well insulated. I have attached a pic of the living room and a sketch of the layout.

Option #1 would be the easiest and least intrusive. I have about a 5x11 area to work with and could easily extend the tile entry way. Ceilings here are 8' tall and on the lower edge of the roof line. So I would need about 6' of chimney exiting the roof.

Option #2: this is a 3' wall. Placing the stove here would likely extent a hearth 5-6' into the living area. Ceilings here are 10' tall.

Option #3: Corner install. Another 20' from all the rooms but a straight shot to the hallway. Ceilings are about 12' high here and the chimney would exit near the ridge line which may be good for a clean install. This would limit my stove choice to a left hand or front load stove.

See any other options? What do you think? Not in a huge hurry to complete as my propane furnace is really efficient and propane is fairly cheap. My wood supply is such that a stove probably wouldn't get used much until next winter

Last edited by a moderator:
The right answer is the one your wife picks. But I choose #3 as I hate seeing chimneys stick out the front of a hous, even off a roof.

#2 or #3 so you can see the fire from the sitting area.
#2 too close to furnace intake? There are codes as to how close the stove is to air intake ducting.

I like corner installs, so I'd probably go with #3

With 1 and 2 I can see the stove being in the way when you round a corner. Where will your wood be stored? Where will you be walking and tracking mud and debris in come spring? Will a spot in the kitchen work? It'll be an easier to clean floor if that's carpet in the living room.

#2 would be in the way after further review so that is out.

#1 is actually the least intrusive for the living area, closest to the door and porch where the wood will be. But like limestone mentioned, there will be 6' of chimney of the front of the house.

I'm leaning towards #3 but I don't live in a democracy.

I'm going to mock up a box and hearth and move it around until momma's happy. She has already alluded that she would like the 5x5 tile entry ripped out and a 5x11 installed to put the stove on.

I like Option #3 . . . I think you have the right idea though with making a cardboard mock up of the stove and required hearth size. You may find that the stove and required hearth size may be a little too large for Option #1.

Incidentally, the reason I like Option #3 is for the view of the fire, I suspect the heat will flow better here and I like the straight shot up better for draft and not having to worry about snow loads coming off the roof on to the chimney.

^^sound reasoning jake^^

heat distribution is going to be poor to the opposite side of the house regardless. It's just the nature of the ranch layout. Put it where you will enjoy it the most and if you want better heating in the MBr consider using a fan or inline duct fan to blow cooler air from the bedrooms area into the stove area.

Status
Not open for further replies.