thoughts on the pf100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nnysnowbelt

Feb 26, 2014
lowville ny
I live in northern ny near the Canadian border. We get some pretty cold winter days and nights. I'm wondering if the pf100 will heat my 1900 square foot home with 2x4 walls good enough. I have a Quadrafire wood insert now that doesn't heat the house very good at all. My options are slim as I don't have a full basement for wood heat. Any idea on how many tons I will go through? Thanks guys!

I'm using 6 - 7 tons down here near Albany with my P61A in my home with 2x6 & R21 insulation in them.
The unit is doing 1100 sf good but the upstairs needs my LP gas fireplace for supplemental when it gets
below 20 degrees F outside.
With 2x4 walls and almost twice the SF, you will no doubt use more...

I live in northern ny near the Canadian border. We get some pretty cold winter days and nights. I'm wondering if the pf100 will heat my 1900 square foot home with 2x4 walls good enough. I have a Quadrafire wood insert now that doesn't heat the house very good at all. My options are slim as I don't have a full basement for wood heat. Any idea on how many tons I will go through? Thanks guys!
So, you already have a furnace? Oil? How much are you currently using. Then calculate the btu equivalent in pellets.

Reactions: iceguy4
I have a 95,000 btu propane furnace. Can't tell you how much I've used because my hot water and dryer is hooked up to it too
Even with the DHW and dryer usage, it's still useful to know how much LP you use. Also, if your existing furnace is already sized at 95k btus, it sounds like a pf100 should be large enough, unless the existing unit wasn't sized right. I'm not sure if that's a 1:1 conversion, but perhaps the Harman website or someone else here would know if that's the case.

Reactions: iceguy4
Status
Not open for further replies.