Thoughts on used Jotul Firelight f600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikefrommaine

New guy here, been lurking for a while.

Have decided upgrade to a larger stove. I have been looking for a used, newer cast iron. The wife really likes the looks of the Jotul and VC. Stove will be going in 500 square foot family room which opens into a large kitchen/dining/living room that has 20' ceilings.

The Jotul Firelight would work well on the existing hearth -- right side opening -- is ideal.

I have found a person selling a used Firelight, 3 years old, matte black, rear and bottom shields and a hearth pad. Asking $1400 -- I have not priced a new one yet. Assuming this one is in 'like new' condition does this price sound right?

Anything in particular on this stove known to be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Thats a good price providing you inspect the stove inside and out for cracks. Maybe a jotul dealer can chime in here. I havent sold them for 3 or 4 years. I'm guessing a new stove like that with the heat shields and a hearth pad would run you about $3500 total. You would get about $1k back in tax credits potentially, buying new. So to me it seems like your getting an almost new stove and still saving over $1k. Sounds like a smart move to me unless my guess on the stove price is off. I was assuming $2900 for a new firelight, 400 for the hearth pads about 250-300 for the heat shields.

F600 is a great stove, and the guys giving you a good price on it. I agree w/ franks that new (with the current tax credit) is probably a better way to go. Either way, I'd recommend the Jotul over the VC, and we sell both.

No no, My opinion on the matter is if after all is said and done, tax credit, etc. If he can SAVE $1000 net buy buying an ALMOST new stove after a careful inspection. That would be the way to go, Summit!

This sounds like a great deal if the stove has not been abused. At 3 years it should still be young. Considering it also includes the hearth pad, it could be a real find. I would not snooze on checking it out.

When you go to check out the stove, look closely for:

1) a change in color on any part of the stove. If there are light grey areas that may be a sign of overfiring.
2) cracks, especially around the interior base grating. Bring a bright flashlight and inspect the grate and the base it sets into, particularly at the corners where the grate meet the base. Check the side and back interior plates for cracking.
3) warping - check the grate to be sure it sits squarely and flatly in its recess in the base. Visually inspect the secondary burn manifold for distortions. Check the doors to make sure they are true.
4) binding door latches and air control. These should operate smoothly. However, it they don't, the fix is usually straight-forward.
5) damaged insulation blanket on top of the secondary manifold. I'm not sure of the cost, but often if this needs replacement it will cost a hundred or two.

Thanks for the info -- I am going to look at it this weekend.

I don't need the pad, but figure I could resell, for maybe $100? I'll see if they will sell without it.

Will check for signs of damage. Deal seems to be good though, if I'm looking at 3500 new.

Good luck. I hope they hold it for you that long. A good pad new can go for $400, so if you can sell it, all the better.

mikefrommaine said:
Thanks for the info -- I am going to look at it this weekend.

I don't need the pad, but figure I could resell, for maybe $100? I'll see if they will sell without it.

Will check for signs of damage. Deal seems to be good though, if I'm looking at 3500 new.

You should be able to get 100 bucks for that hearth if its in good shape. Like BB said, they can go for a good chunk of change brand new. You may want to hold onto it until september. It will sell faster and you may get a little more for it.

I ain't BB. He's much better looking than me :). Good tip on holding on to it until fall.

When inspecting, as a reference point, my Rockland looks essentially brand new after two years of regular usage. Granted it is an insert so 75% of it is hidden. It should look "barely" used.

I purchased a Firelight with the enamel finish rather than the matte last fall. Total cost including pipe and installation was just over 3400. If the one you're looking at is really in like new condition, you're going to save, as others have noted, at least 1000 even when you consider the tax credit. You're also going to save quite a bit in reduced wood consumption unless your present stove is also very efficient.

The Firelight really is a great stove. Took me a while to get the hang of fire starting, but once that was mastered, I could not have been more pleased with the stove's performance. Assuming your wood is really dry, the Firelight puts out an incredible amount of heat from a modest supply of wood. The side loading door system is very well designed and I found I could do everything, including an occasional glass cleaning through that door, so no need to open the front doors at all unless you want to do a more thorough cleaning around the front when the stove is completely cold.

If I could do it over and the stove was in good shape, I would buy the F-600, over my insert. Just one guys opinion....

I happened to be camping near where the stove was for sale. So went and looked it over closely -- looks brand new on the outside and good on the inside - no signs of overheating.

He had already sold the hearth pad -- which I did not need -- so I got the stove, rear and bottom shields, screen door and a 3'x5' heat shield (for the rear wall)

I paid $1200 cash.

Super deal, congratulations. Good to hear that it worked out for you. I think you are going to love that stove.

mikefrommaine said:
I happened to be camping near where the stove was for sale. So went and looked it over closely -- looks brand new on the outside and good on the inside - no signs of overheating.

He had already sold the hearth pad -- which I did not need -- so I got the stove, rear and bottom shields, screen door and a 3'x5' heat shield (for the rear wall)

I paid $1200 cash.

Wow. That's a good deal.

mikefrommaine said:

I paid $1200 cash.

Good job, hell of a deal. Let us know how you like the stove after you put it thru its paces this fall

Thanks for the help. It's replacing a jotul f3 cb. Which was a good stove, just way too small.

That will be a quantum leap. We'll be looking for the pictures soon.

mikefrommaine said:
New guy here, been lurking for a while.

Have decided upgrade to a larger stove. I have been looking for a used, newer cast iron. The wife really likes the looks of the Jotul and VC. Stove will be going in 500 square foot family room which opens into a large kitchen/dining/living room that has 20' ceilings.

The Jotul Firelight would work well on the existing hearth -- right side opening -- is ideal.

I have found a person selling a used Firelight, 3 years old, matte black, rear and bottom shields and a hearth pad. Asking $1400 -- I have not priced a new one yet. Assuming this one is in 'like new' condition does this price sound right?

Anything in particular on this stove known to be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Check out this deal http://southcoast.craigslist.org/for/1768884138.html ... It's a bit of a drive but looks like a good deal to me..

Ray

Wow.. great stove for an awesome price! Dont forget the pics.

Still looks pretty nice and worth looking at if you are in the neighborhood and the fellow is flexible on price.

Don't have any pics of the new stove, but here is the one it will replace.

Attachments

• SDC10672.jpg
    SDC10672.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 496
Status
Not open for further replies.