Threw the net over this one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Was hoping for Sugar, but I think I got Silver?

Attachments

• 081510 load.jpg
    081510 load.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 559
  • 081510 id.jpg
    081510 id.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 602
Not silver. Not any maple I'm familiar with. Norway?

Norway.+1

I'll take that, split the difference.

SolarAndWood said:

Nice score Solar, I here Norway burns like Sugar Maple.

zap

Thats not silver...

That's good cause I had to use one of the planks as a ramp for the bigger ones. Shouldn't have to do that with silver.

zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:

Nice score Solar, I here Norway burns like Sugar Maple.

zap

Thanks Zap, few more loads and I'll be flirting with 2013.

Borrowed Danno's pic from another thread. Think this load was definitely Norway?

Attachments

• 081510 id.jpg
    081510 id.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 328
  • Norway Sugar side by side.jpg
    Norway Sugar side by side.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 334
Pretty much an exact match! ;-)

After moving and restacking almost a cord of wood today with a bunch of Norway included, that bark and wood color is well entrenched in my mind.

So, yes, I agree even more!!

Leave and bark a slam dunk for Norway......Just cut up a 32 incher this weekend......

Cool thanks, I can add Norways to the albeit short list of trees i can id now. This one was somewhere around 24".

Just FYI, here is a picture I took of silver maple - this is the underside of the leaves. Notice how deep the spaces (sinuses) are between the lobes - way more so than any of the other maples (except for those stupid red Japanese maples).

Attachments

• Silver maple.jpg
    Silver maple.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 259
ps,

you can see why it is called silver maple.

i think norway maple is just green on both sides.

I know you pretty much have it figured out but +10 on Norway...

Yeah, looks like I am good for sugar, silver and maple. Just leaves 122 more maples to figure out.

SolarAndWood said:
Yeah, looks like I am good for sugar, silver and maple. Just leaves 122 more maples to figure out.

nah, there aren't really that many.

Just Red, Silver, Sugar, Black, Silver, Norway and the you can count Box Elder as well, as that technically is a maple.

here, I will post pictures I've take on red maple, and Box elder - box elder is the only maple with compound leaves - looks a lot like poison ivy.

you already have pictures in this post of all the others except Black - and black maple is pretty much identical to sugar maple, except usually has 3 lobes instead of 5 and the points of the lobes tend to be a little droopy - but i think sugar and black maple are functionally - sugar and wood quality - almost the same.

oh yeah, then there are striped and mountain maple - but those are just little tiny trees - definitely not big enough for firewood - so we'll ignore them for now :)

Attachments

• Box Elder.jpg
    Box Elder.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Red Maple.jpg
    Red Maple.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 178
Thanks Flint. I just graduated from heavy, not as heavy and not so heavy. Your pics are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.