Through Interior Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

M7mahoney

Oct 31, 2023
New Jersey
Hi All! I have an odd set up I could use some help on. Is it ok to run pipe through an interior wall? I have a large opening (dead space) behind an interior wall that I can pass through then go straight up through the attic and out of the roof.

Plenty of space for proper clearances once I'm through the wall.

What would best recommendation be? Should I.just treat it the same as exiting an exterior wall? If so is it ok to have the clean out inside?

Thanks for any and a help!!

Connector (stove) pipe can only be used in the room. This installation will need a class A chimney pipe at the wall and up from there. A class A thimble installed with proper clearances is what is used to pass through the wall. It's ok to have the cleanout inside as long as it's all class A chimney pipe at that point behind the wall.

Connector (stove) pipe can only be used in the room. This installation will need a class A chimney pipe at the wall and up from there. A class A thimble installed with proper clearances is what is used to pass through the wall. It's ok to have the cleanout inside as long as it's all class A chimney pipe at that point behind the wall.
Thanks!! Sounds like the same setup as going through exterior wall then. That works for me! Was going to do double wall off the stove then class A after I pass through the wall.

They make finishing trim for the class A pipe where it enters into the room at the wall.

How long of a horizontal run are you going to have

Thanks!! Sounds like the same setup as going through exterior wall then. That works for me! Was going to do double wall off the stove then class A after I pass through the wa

Thanks!! Sounds like the same setup as going through exterior wall then. That works for me! Was going to do double wall off the stove then class A after I pass through the wall.
I'm reading a wood stove shouldn't have more than a 30 degree but then I also read no more than 2 90s. How would you go through a wall without a 90. Here's a photo (don't mind the art work). My plan is double wall up to the wall thimble then ass a with a T and clean out then straight up and out. That should be good right?

20231101_160626.jpg

I'm reading a wood stove shouldn't have more than a 30 degree but then I also read no more than 2 90s. How would you go through a wall without a 90. Here's a photo (don't mind the art work). My plan is double wall up to the wall thimble then ass a with a T and clean out then straight up and out. That should be good right?

View attachment 317855
Stove pipe should not be confused with chimney pipe. There are only 15º and 30º elbows for chimney pipe. 45º elbow turns are not permitted with it. However, there is a 90º turn in the tee.

In general, it's recommended to keep the turns to a minimum.

stove venting 3 ways.png