Through The Wall Class A Chimney Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney Smoke

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2013
Maine
So last week I had a local hearth shop install a class A chimney and move my woodstove from the basement up to the first floor in a corner install. The first mistake they made was for some reason trying to put the wall pass through directly against the corner. I don't know why they thought they could do this because it would have been way to close to the sheet rock even for double wall pipe. Before I could say anything a pilot hole was already cut. They move over one stud from the corner and proceed to install. I assume they measured the height of the hearth pad and the height of the stove before they cut the hole for the chimney and no in hind sight I don't think they did. The pass through is ~5 feet up from the floor, it's not even over the top of the window next to it. Is there a somewhat standard height for this type of install? Then they proceed to patch the drywall. A 2 inch pilot hole turned into a 3"x8" hole sheetrock patched and mudded. Now I get to try to mix up some custom paint to match the wall... Next is time for the hearth pad and stove to move in. Everything is moved fine but now the chimney and stove don't line up. Time to wiggle the stove around and figure out what combination of pipe will work. There's a 90 at the top, then a 6 inch section, a 12 inch section and another 6 inch section. The corner clearances meet just at 6 1/2 inches on one corner and 7 on the other corner and 16 inches to the front. After they leave I get looking around and measuring a little. No wonder the stove was so tight on the pad, it's 2 1/2 inches smaller than it's supposed to be! But I paid for the larger one. So this morning I'll be on the phone with them to see what our next steps are.

Terrible.. I hate paying most contractors for anything as I rarely get the job done I expect. Only 3 types of jobs, good, fast, and cheap. Pick any 2 LOL. I hope they are reputable and correct their mistakes and any issues you have with the install.

So I spoke with the the shop and the guy that does all of the estimates came out to check the work and see my complaints. A few days later the owner of the shop calls me and apologizes multiple times and says that he needs to make it right. They came out the next weekend and the owner himself did most of the work. They ended up moving the chimney over 1.5 inches and everything lines up perfect. Of course that means a bigger hole that needs to be fixed again but he was very accommodating and truly sorry about the install. They actually changed a few other things that weren't quite right that I didn't notice. They added another 2 feet of chimney because the original marginally passed the two feet with ten rule and they changed the exterior pass through plate to a different style. The new hearth is also on order to replace the smaller one that was delivered. It always stinks when dealing with fixing a crew up but they handled it well to make it right. And long story short - the stove is awesome in it's new home. When it was in the basement I had to run full reloads to keep the first floor at a decent temp. Now I put in 3 or 4 splits at a time and it keeps the whole house 70 plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.