ThruWall Fan / Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
j-takeman said:
http://www.smarthome.com/7144/Thermo-Cube/p.aspx

I found this while browsing. On at 78ºF and of at 70ºF. Cheap price too!

That looks like it could work too - I just need more control....story of my life

no gangbox

MinnesotaGuy said:
j-takeman said:
http://www.smarthome.com/7144/Thermo-Cube/p.aspx

I found this while browsing. On at 78ºF and of at 70ºF. Cheap price too!

That looks like it could work too - I just need more control....story of my life

no gangbox
u can get the gangbox for $1 or 2 @ HD

Definitely think of pushing cold air into the room, rather than hot air out.
I have both, and pushing cold air in is much better.
Also, if you can, have the fan start running before you reach your optimal stove room temperature, because there will be considerable over-shoot.

dougstove said:
Definitely think of pushing cold air into the room, rather than hot air out.
I have both, and pushing cold air in is much better.
Also, if you can, have the fan start running before you reach your optimal stove room temperature, because there will be considerable over-shoot.

Yup, the throughwall fan is just a start. We'll see how it works and will experiment/add from there. Like I mentioned, there will be two doors to the crawl space (see photo), so we could move cooler air from there or from the hallway (through the main family room door). The recently cut hole on the right is intended for wood storage, but could probably work for moving air too.

What about another Suncourt fan pushing air from the crawl space at the back of the stove, since I was too cheap to buy the $300 blower for the stove? I know it's not a lot of cfm, but seems like it would help some.

Attachments

• P1050145.jpg
    P1050145.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 207
MinnesotaGuy said:
I'm thinking about getting this through wall fan to move some hot air from my T5 to another room.

http://www.amazon.com/Thru-Wall-Roo...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282146302&sr=8-2

I'm looking for decent looking thermostat to control it (turn it on at around 75 degrees or so). This is the only thing I found so far:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_612108_612108

It isn't exactly the best looking device to put in a finished family room. Most thermostats I'm finding work opposite of what I'm looking to do - turns something on when temp drops below specified setting, unless you can rig normal thermostats to do the opposite. Any suggestions?

I installed that same fan between the stove room and the TV room. It helps a bit, but during the heating season, we run it 24/7. No need for a thermostat...it's ALWAYS above 75 in the stove room!

I installed that same fan between the stove room and the TV room. It helps a bit, but during the heating season, we run it 24/7. No need for a thermostat...it's ALWAYS above 75 in the stove room![/quote]

Yeah, it will probably be running most of the time - just thinking if we head out of town, or are gone all day and the stove goes out, fan would shut off. Maybe it's overkill, we'll see.

Is the fan fairly quiet?

MinnesotaGuy said:
I installed that same fan between the stove room and the TV room. It helps a bit, but during the heating season, we run it 24/7. No need for a thermostat...it's ALWAYS above 75 in the stove room!

Yeah, it will probably be running most of the time - just thinking if we head out of town, or are gone all day and the stove goes out, fan would shut off. Maybe it's overkill, we'll see.

Is the fan fairly quiet?[/quote]

Yes, it is fairly quiet..even on full (which is where it stays).

Thaks for posting your findings MinGuy,

There are so many different ways to move air around, I find this to be one of the easiest to do and cheapest. I looked a bit into a duct system that would sit in the attic space but these can get a tad costly. I currently just move the cold air to the stove room. It is really cheap way of getting the air moving. But the stoveroom gets a bit too hot compared to the rest of the house. The stove sits in a livingroom that only has a doorway size openning going into the main hallway. I bet moving the hot air that gets stuck in here above the openning, would make a huge difference. Three of those fans are a lot cheaper than the duct system with the inline fan in the attic.

smokinjay said:
I would want to push my cold air to the stove room. With that said and the thermostat on the other side cold side picking up on drop temps and pushing the cold air back to the stove a regular thermostat would do the job.

Mine works great through the wall. It takes air right from the top of the wall/ceiling and sends it through the wall. Air returns via the stairs. The air between 7 and 8 feet in that room is usually 80+. Works great so far. I find that every house and room has its own personality and you have to figure out what works best for your situation.

my best results have been blowing the cold air back at the stove
and programming my thermostat to run the furnace blower
twenty minutes per hour in 3 cycles
the house stays 3 degrees warmer
and much more even heat

Status
Not open for further replies.