Thunder struck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoked

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2015
Roanoke VA
Seriously, is there any truth to Lightning stuck would having energy robed from it? I really do no think so but figured I would ask. I have a scrounge opportunity. Big really old white oak. sapwood is punky but heartwood is solid. If there is a chance it is going to be off a little, I may pass and find something that I won't have to quarter up with my saw....

No difference. Well, my neighbor did tell the insurance company that years ago when the insurance company wanted to low ball him on the bill for bucking a big oak that lightning hit in his front yard and they knew he was a wood burner.

Sure gets the moisture out of it quick. I get one hit every two or three years and see no difference in it.

Go get it.

No difference. Well, my neighbor did tell the insurance company that years ago when the insurance company wanted to low ball him on the bill for bucking a big oak that lightning hit in his front yard and they knew he was a wood burner.

Sure gets the moisture out of it quick. I get one hit every two or three years and see no difference in it.

Go get it.
Cool, thanks BB

Seriously, is there any truth to Lightning stuck would having energy robed from it? I really do no think so but figured I would ask. I have a scrounge opportunity. Big really old white oak. sapwood is punky but heartwood is solid. If there is a chance it is going to be off a little, I may pass and find something that I won't have to quarter up with my saw....

More of the energy from burning comes from the chemical reaction of breaking apart the molecules in the wood so anything the lightning didn't burn should still have that energy stored inside. It's also why punky wood doesn't have the same btu output as the breakdown has already started.

The biggest issue with lightning wood is the trunk will internally splinter and water and critters will move in quick. If you are lucky and it was direct strike, you may not have to spend much time quartering, just cut rounds off and there mostly likely will be established splits running through the rounds. Just have a wedge handy and I expect a quick whack will break the rounds into sections along the new splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.