Tile around hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountaineer

Feb 17, 2013
How far out from your hearth is non- combustible flooring? We just actually got the hearth built and would like to put hardwood down in the living room but I would feel better if there was a little space between the two.
What did you guys do around your hearth ?

18" in front min. Manual will spec sides/rear. More is not a bad thing. Ive had coals roll out past the 18" and melt my fireproof mat sitting in front of hearth.

I'd go with at least three feet. Eventually a hot coal will fall out of the stove and the extra tile might prevent a burn in the carpet or hardwood. I consider myself very careful with my stove, but I have had coals fall onto the floor more than once. There is no way to avoid a mishap forever.

There's no harm in exceeding the minimum 16-18" required in front of the stove door. Add a border of contrasting tile or stone for a nice look.

Status
Not open for further replies.