Tiling a fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovinmo

Hearth Supporter
Jun 27, 2009
Southwest Missouri
has anyone ever tried using liquid nails to adhear 12 x 12 slate to a painted fireplace? I've done plenty of tiling so I'm comfortable with that but don't know how to adhere backer board etc to the fireplace before tiling. Since liquid nails has to be pried off, I wondered if it was possible to use it in this fashion. The fireplace brick is smooth surface.

That's My thread. I am ripping the paint off the fire place brick with a grinder with wire wheel. It makes quick work of it. Then I will smooth out the brick with a layer of thinset. Once that dries I will tile like normal.

onesojourner said:
That's My thread. I am ripping the paint off the fire place brick with a grinder with wire wheel. It makes quick work of it. Then I will smooth out the brick with a layer of thinset. Once that dries I will tile like normal.

So are you going to thinset and then tile directly onto the brick? No backerboard? I never thought to do that, but I suppose it would work out fine as long as you keep the thinset a consistant thickness. It will require a little more finesse though. Let us know how it goes.

And to Lisa,

Don't use glue. THe other guys are correct. It's not a good idea for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.