Timber Heat out of Pittsford, NY (scam)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfun1

Mar 12, 2014
Rochester, NY
I bought a half ton of pellets from Lowes today. They matched Home Depot's price, which was already high enough. I weighed every single bag and got 35.4 pounds to 39.6 pounds. I still have two bags from last year of a different brand (Nation's Choice), and they both weighed 40.0 pounds.

Timber Heat out of Pittsford, NY. A local company. Wonder if the county weights and measures regulates them like they do gas pumps, supermarket scales, etc.? Sounds like a shady outfit. That's about 5 to 10% profit going up someone's noise at company headquarters.

Attachments

• 52c478c608ca487d9cabe27d65d004b7.jpg
    52c478c608ca487d9cabe27d65d004b7.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 178
Someones stepping on the scale:mad:

Did you contact them about the discrepancy in weight? Maybe they are shorting their customers or maybe there was a problem with whatever that made their bags lighter. What did they tell you when you contacted them? You did contact them about this right? Before posting this? Please keep us posted.

I have not tried timber heat, but check out Higbie's in Chili they have a good selection of pellet (barefoot, Allegheny, dry creek) and offer delivery. I burn barefoot and it is consistently hot and clean.

That's interesting. I don't recall ever reading about weighing bags. It's not like it's wet firewood drying out.

Someone else had weighed several bags and the lot average was ok. So you might get a full ton on 50 bags. Scales for commerce in our state have to be tested every year.

I seem to recall a thread last year about weigh bags, some brands appeared to be consistently low, others high, still others basically right on. Or maybe it was a thread that started as something else and turned into the weight of bags. I'll see if I can find it.

I looked at those pellets at Lowe's in Henrietta........ but different pellets make me nervous. I've run Lignetics, Instant Heat, and Dry Creek. My wife prefers the Instant Heat pellets. The good thing about Higbie is that they will store them and you can retrieve them as the need arises.

Ok, so this is what I'm thinking. Timber Heat is made by Choice Forest/ BioMaxx, with a Pittsford address for corporate office and plant in Wellsville,NY . This same company makes pellets under different names, such as Pure Fire & Timber Heat. I'm almost sure that the parent company is PA Pellets/Dry Creek.. I sometime buy the Pure Fires and will have to weigh them. Thanks for the tip on Higbie's in Chili..

Is your scale good ?

Some bathroom scales aren't very (repeatably) accurate under 100 pounds

Status
Not open for further replies.