Timber Ridge 55-TRP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamountain

Oct 21, 2015
Virginia
Hello everyone. I am new to the Pellet Stove venture. I know people who have them, some love them, some hate them. I had / have natural gas furnace heat, but for some reason, even though the price is at a all time "low" my budget bill doesn't reflect it. So I turned to a pellet stove vs. wood stove.

With that in mind. After installation I am now getting some sort of vibration at various times. Sounds like the fan, but it's fine. Can not be felt through the stove, but you can hear it. It does it before the actual fan blower cuts on. Could it possibly be the auger?

Hi Vamountain, would it be possible for you to provide a bit more detail about the noise you are hearing? It sounds like you are saying the noise only happens on start-up, is that true?

In terms of specifically the augers, that stove uses a system where the augers float and are allowed to move up and down a little bit as needed to make room for the pellets. Sometimes the augers will rub against the auger tube and you can hear a slight squeal, but I wouldn't describe that as a vibration. I have the larger model of the same stove and I do sometimes get an intermittent vibration type noise if the back panel is loose so that might be something to look at.

Additionally, have you been keeping up with the cleaning regimen? You will need to make sure you are keeping too much carbon from building up in the lower auger tube which extends into the firebox. Excessive build up of carbon at the end of that tube can also sometimes cause noises.

Reactions: Vamountain
Hi Vamountain, would it be possible for you to provide a bit more detail about the noise you are hearing? It sounds like you are saying the noise only happens on start-up, is that true?

In terms of specifically the augers, that stove uses a system where the augers float and are allowed to move up and down a little bit as needed to make room for the pellets. Sometimes the augers will rub against the auger tube and you can hear a slight squeal, but I wouldn't describe that as a vibration. I have the larger model of the same stove and I do sometimes get an intermittent vibration type noise if the back panel is loose so that might be something to look at.

Additionally, have you been keeping up with the cleaning regimen? You will need to make sure you are keeping too much carbon from building up in the lower auger tube which extends into the firebox. Excessive build up of carbon at the end of that tube can also sometimes cause noises.

Thanks for the input. The weather here has only been cold at night and mild during the day so far. I actually have cleaded the burn pot out every day just to stay on top of it. This morning it cut off for some reason. When my wife left at 530 to head to work it was on, then when I got up at 730 it had shut down. Still don't know what that issue was.

As for the vibration, it done it when I started it up this morning before the blower cut on. Yesterday it did it while the stove was on. Not a shreel but like a loose motor hopping around then it just quits.

Cleaned the tube out and looks good. Perhaps a small pellet under the auger making it jump? idk.

I love the stove so far, though a 40lb bag of pellets will not fit in it, or I got more pellets than a 40lb bag.

What is the low fuel, burn air, and air temp buttons for?

It sounds like cleaning is not the issue. The auger motors both spin quite slowly (1 or 2 RPM, if I'm not mistaken) so it seems unlikely them getting stuck on a pellet would make much of a hopping sound.

Another possibility could be that sometimes the pellets get stuck to the sides of the hopper and then they will suddenly let go and that can make some amount of noise, but that only happens when the stove is low on fuel.

When you say the stove cut off on you this morning, do you mean it just shut down without notice, or did it give you an error code on the display screen?

What is the low fuel, burn air, and air temp buttons for?

I realized I forgot to answer this :). Those three buttons are fine tuning type controls that let you tweak the burn. If the stove is running fine you don't need to play with them, but if it starts to burn dirty (and you are sure the stove is clean) you can use those to change the fuel/air ratio. The buttons are known as LFF (Low Fuel Feed), LBA (Low Burn Air), and Air On Temp (AOT). If you tweak any of them, you only want to change one at a time and give the stove 5 to 10 minutes to adjust before changing again, but you NEVER want to change AOT as that changes the temperature threshold under which the room air blower turns on and off and changing that setting can cause the stove to overheat, probably not something you want :).

There are many posts on this forum about how/when to play with those settings, so I won't bother repeating that here. Additionally, you can always call the Heat Redefined support folks and they will be happy to help you change those settings or troubleshoot any problems with the stove. They can be a little hard to reach during the heating season, but they are always very friendly and knowledgeable.

Hello everyone. I am new to the Pellet Stove venture. I had / have natural gas furnace heat, but for some reason, even though the price is at a all time "low" my budget bill doesn't reflect it. So I turned to a pellet stove vs. wood stove.
Can you elaborate on this? What is the cost of heating with the price of NG in your home? If the cost seems high, maybe there's something going on with your furnace? It normally is always a higher cost to heat with pellets VS. Natural Gas.....

Sorry I have been away for a while. The price of Natural Gas is at record low prices so you would think that the bill would be cheaper. I was on a budget plan. When I bought the house 4 years ago they based it off the usage of the previous owner. 156.00 a month... even during the summer. When the plan was re-evaluated it dropped to 69.00, then went to 73, then 76. All I do is heat with NG. I went off the budget and when I called to go back on, my new bill would be 138.00 a month. When I asked why, I was told, Fuel delivery fee, storage fee, based on last 12 months of usage, THEN what they projected for the winter temps and taxes of course.

That's still far cheaper than burning $250.00 in pellets a month.....

I haven't even burnt but 8 bags so far. House is well insulated. No one I know down here burns that many pellets in a month anyway. My house stays around 78 with the heat on 1 and fan on 3. $1560 a year to only heat the house is far more expensive than 3 pallets of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.