Timberjack or Cant Hook?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
I'm thinking about getting some kind of tool to roll logs around and keep my saw chain out of the dirt. I'm going to order either a Timberjack or a Cant Hook (both made by Peavey) and I've read mixed reviews as to which is better. Some say the Timberjack is a waste and they remove the jack portion while others like it. I would love to hear some opinions.

I removed the jack portion of mine . Seemed like a good idea when I bought it ,but it just wasn't worth the bother for me .

Nixon said:
I removed the jack portion of mine . Seemed like a good idea when I bought it ,but it just wasn't worth the bother for me .

+1

Havent used my timberjack in over 15yrs but the cant hook/pike pole combo gets used often.

OK it sounds like the cant hook is the better choice. Peavy offers a 3 1/2 foot or 4 foot version so other than leverage is a 4' hook better or is a 3 1/2' the industry standard?

Either a peavey or a cant hook. I like the cant hook the best. As for size, it depends on what you have to roll. If you have big trees then the 4' will be better. Even a 3' will do a decent job.

As for the difference, I rarely go to the woods without the cant hook. I have a timberjack that I've tried to give away for years. It sits somewhere around here in one of the barns. The most useless tool on the place. I did try making a cant hook from it but would have to do some changing yet as it won't grab worth a hoot. I just threw it into the barn rather than mess with it. Come and get if if you want.

Well I did it. I finally smartened up and purchased some saw chaps from Labonville and said WTH and ordered the 4' cant hook while I was at it.

So why are timberjacks useless?

Como said:
So why are timberjacks useless?

It has to be moved down the log constantly after a couple cuts. Faster and easier to make all your cuts 90% of the way through, roll the log and finish the cuts.

I have a few hundred 40ft's to cut. A cant hook sounds the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.