Timberjack Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Peavey Timberjack. http://peaveymfg.com/products-logging-tools-timber-jack The stand is easily removable and mine has been removed for a few years now. I have not thrown it away, but I don't use it either. Give them a call, they are very helpful and the shipping was reasonable and quick.
http://peaveymfg.com/assets/timberjack.jpg
While you are on the phone, order one of these too. Super handy for moving logs and rounds. No bending down to reach and cuts down on glove wear too. Get one long enough to reach all the way to the front of your truck bed or trailer.
http://peaveymfg.com/products-logging-tools-pickeroons
http://peaveymfg.com/assets/pickeroon_katahdin.jpg

I have one of those pickaroons, used once, longer handle good price.
I got a hookaroon that's great. I stabbed myself once in the boot with it and didn't bleed, yet picks up wood great.
I also got two hand hooks, or whatever you call the, also used once, just not for me.

I have a timberjack like Flatbeds. It was about $90 a lot of years ago. I think it can roll and lift a 2' X 20' log. It lifts and holds logs off the ground for easy bucking. I don't cut up much without using it.

Tom

velvetfoot said:
I got a hookaroon that's great. I stabbed myself once in the boot with it and didn't bleed, yet picks up wood great.
I also got two hand hooks, or whatever you call the, also used once, just not for me.

Pulphooks . . . I have an old hand-me down pulp hook that I use all the time. It works for me . . .

I also bought the 60" Logrite cant hook and put the log stand on it. Very nice tool, and the stand can be removed.

gg

That's it- I'm going to FINALLY spring for a Peavey. I can see the spike being useful for prying or just sticking it in the ground. I tend to cut 2/3 through, roll, then finish so I'll forgo the stand.

Kenster said:
Dennis, does your home built sled dig in and make ruts on your trail when the ground is dry, as in no snow or ice? I have a bunch of landscape timbers with which I could build a sled but I hate for it to dig up my trails when it's loaded with a heavy log and being pulled by my tractor.

Ken, it does not tear up the trail at all. Most of the time the ground is frozen when we use but we do some when it is not frozen too and there is no problem with it. It works like a charm. We used to use these a lot in the woods back when I was a bit younger. Of course they were heavier then but even though we stacked logs on the dray they did not tear up the trails. Of course if one ran through mud with them they would leave a track. Also, the dray pulls almost like a trailer as far a drag. There really is not much drag or not as much as you might expect.

Back then when I worked in the woods, for building the dray we just took a slab off two sides. That way you had a flat surface on the ground. I fear a rounded surface might indeed tear up a trail but we never tried it. btw, we've used the dray to haul lots of things. Just strap them on and away you go. I'll be moving a few hunting blinds soon and will use the dray.

firefighterjake said:
velvetfoot said:

Pulphooks . . . I have an old hand-me down pulp hook that I use all the time. It works for me . . .

A friend was telling me for years to try a pulp hook; I was never convinced. Then he handed me one and I finally remembered to try it. Now I ask myself: why did I wait?

If you like the pulp hook, you will love a pickeroon/hookeroon. You can pull stuff out of the truck, drag on the ground, roll rounds, not bend over.

Lots of great information guys. Thanks for everything. Next stop is going to be some websites to look at these Peaveys and Cant hooks and decide on which one I am going to buy.

Well, maybe I'll give the pulp hooks another whirl, but I don't think they're working for me.
Getting off topic now, but I recently moved a lot of rounds with a couple of these 12" husky timber tongs:
http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-12-Timber-Tongs/dp/B0037W8YEM

21SkA1ry-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

velvetfoot said:
Well, maybe I'll give the pulp hooks another whirl, but I don't think they're working for me.
Getting off topic now, but I recently moved a lot of rounds with a couple of these 12" husky timber tongs:
http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-12-Timber-Tongs/dp/B0037W8YEM

21SkA1ry-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Those are the tongs I use all the time.

They also work good for one handed lifting of rounds to the splitter. They really reduce the amount of bending to pick up rounds.

Gg

Yes, you can use two hands on the handle.

I used two of them at a time when I could to lift the rounds into the garden trailer, and then used them (or one) to get it to the splitter, which was just about at the same level. Really saved a lot of effort. I picked up some big rounds, so much so that I had to step them onto the trailer (1st step, place on smaller round, 2nd step, trailer tire, 3rd step, in the cart.)

Sorry for the off-topic'edness.

velvetfoot said:
Yes, you can use two hands on the handle.

I used two of them at a time when I could to lift the rounds into the garden trailer, and then used them (or one) to get it to the splitter, which was just about at the same level. Really saved a lot of effort. I picked up some big rounds, so much so that I had to step them onto the trailer (1st step, place on smaller round, 2nd step, trailer tire, 3rd step, in the cart.)

Sorry for the off-topic'edness.

If you are apologizing for my benefit, you don't have to. I am the king of thread drift. I usually don't mind it unless I am really looking for a specific answer that I need right now. The information that I have got from this thread is awesome. Never even knew they made hooks like this for moving wood. Never even knew about an arch either. The arch looks like it would be a wonderful tool if I had some woods of my own. However, right now I cannot justify the arch. Probably going to buy a cant hook in the very near future. Today, I am working on splitting and building some racks. No rest for the weary.

Status
Not open for further replies.