Timberwolf pellet stoves - any comments?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I had a guy come out to the house last night to give an estimate for a pellet stove flue install. He said he sells Timberwolf pellet stoves (an offshoot of Napoleon). They price he gave me seems pretty good compared with others ($1399 for the TPS35). Is the Timberwolf stove any good? Does anyone have any experiece with them? They seem to be a pretty stripped-down, plain stove - how is the quality? Thanks in advance.

Things I like about them (after reading owners manual). Simple controls, 3 Heat levels, Auto ignition, with adjustable trim for feed and combustion blower. Has a "Round" burn-pot like my Quadrafire. I like the round styles. If there's is anything like the quads, with the vortex of air coming through the pot, It should "Self-Clean" pretty good. No ash pan, but don't think you need one anyways. Having a wood-stove, you prob have a good vacuum already. Hopper is not that large (40 lbs), but I check mine at 5am and 5 pm, always topping off. So having an 80 lb hopper isn't really to my advantage. Looks like a pretty solid stove. Does not look hard to clean. I can see an ash clean out port on the left side of the fire-box. Long small brushes can clean between the exchanger tubes really well, along with there "pull-rod" cleaning system (Joke)
Is the $1,399 he quoted on, the "Full Install" price? Flue, thimble, stove? If so, grab it. My buddy got a Magnum Baby Countryside for the same price. he was around $1,400 out the door, $1,550 with a ton of Somersets on sale at Menards. Anytime you can get a 40,000 BTU stove (close enough) for around $1,500. Your doing pretty good.
Last but not least is.. Is the Dealer. This is the selling point for a lot of people. Making sure he stands behind his product, or willing to come service the stove. I am a Do-It-Yourself-er, I don't need a dealer to come install and clean my stove twice a year. But for many this is important and a key selling point. Good luck and keep us updated..

Basically the same stove as the Napoleon NPS 45, wih a few less bells and whistles on the controller end. I haven't heard anything bad about them on the wire.

We have had the TPS35 for almost a year now and hate it. It's our third pellet stove. Bought our first one when they first came out with them, upgraded that one for a fancier looking stove. This was back before auto ignition. The Whitfield stove we had started acting up, it was over 10 years old and we are in the process of fixing it, so we bought the Timberwolf, big mistake! The only good thing is the auto ignition. The stove will not run on low, yes we have adjusted the air, and the top and sides get so hot we don't dare run it on medium unless we are home. The other two stoves we had only got hot on the glass. EBS has replaced the mother board once and now they say its the pellets that won't allow it to run on low. The pellets came with the stove. At one point it was so hot, on the side panel, that the rubber butt of a hammer melted, just by tapping the side panel (we were trying to get the side panel back in place after one of the many "service" calls. Save up for a better stove.

Similar to the Lennox Country Winslow burn pot wise. .
I like my burn pot. I don't have a lot of experience with other designs, but i feel this one works good. It's never been trouble. don't clog much/ever.

we have sold and installed 3 last year and 12 this year, and the biggest problem Ive seen so far is the door gasket should be sealed to the stove better (easy fix). that price is great, it lists at $1849.00 we sell them at 1799.00 parts and install additional

I have worked on a few TPS35s and the biggest problem people seem to have with them comes after the first year of operation. The burn pot fills with unburnt pellets and the glass gets black with soot. This is caused by ash build up in the small areas inside the stove, most of which are not easily accessed. The best way to prevent this is by having the stove professionally cleaned yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.