Time for a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AAsTeapots

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2007
Hello! Long time no see! I am returning to my old faithful message board for some much needed help. We have been running our englander PVD-25 since 2008. It has been a work horse but it is now killing us on pellet consumption. We are looking into getting a newer stove with a larger hopper. I wanted to know if we could get some recommendations from the group. We have a Thelin echo pellet stove in our living room and it is still working efficiently since 2007 but they no longer make them and I do not like their other pellet models. We would really like something with a huge hopper so we don't have to dump in pellets so often. Also we want a removable ash pan so we can empty the stove with out having to wait until its completely cooled down. That is our biggest gripe with the englander. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. edit to add: please don't think I have not been doing my own research. I am so annoyed by bad reviews on everything I wanted to come here and get a real idea from people who I trust have used the stoves.
Thanks!
1. large hopper
2. removable ash pan
3. efficient use of pellets
that is our 3 top "wants" for our new stove

I got Harmon XXV last year. 65lb Hopper. Good for a day in 24/7 operation. I was considering CAB50 but too ugly for Wife. On 2nd year, been great stove. Burning about 5 tons last year. So far about same this year. I shutoff and run Furnace (HP) if over 30f. Very easy to clean. Ash pan hold about 1 Ton.

Enviro Maxx. 3bag hopper and is a heat beast. Big ash pan. Depending on the pellets efficiency varies like most stoves. My new one has heated our 1600sf ranch w/vaulted ceilings, on setting 1 so far this season and looks good doing it

70,000 btu and holds 120#. But still 1k less than