Time for redemtion! - This weekends wood scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
After last weekends pathetic attempt at a wood hoard, I have booked myself a date with my uncle who has is giving me the remaining wood seen in this pic....its hard work to process, but well worth it!...

Attachments

• 20130202_105808.jpg
    20130202_105808.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 206
Working weekend?

.it may not have been stored properly out in the open
i am trying to burn some wood like that i got it last year. It burns but not very well. It will take me a couple of weeks and then i can get to the good stuff. I find it hard to find 'free' wood scrounges this time of year as everybody else has just realised its getting cold and i need some wood fast :eek: Get as much as you can of that good stuff. How easy is it to split? can you get through it with the hand splitter?

After last weekends pathetic attempt at a wood hoard, I have booked myself a date with my uncle who has is giving me the remaining wood seen in this pic....its hard work to process, but well worth it!...

Cool
What type of wood is it?

Reactions: Hills Hoard
i am trying to burn some wood like that i got it last year. It burns but not very well. It will take me a couple of weeks and then i can get to the good stuff. I find it hard to find 'free' wood scrounges this time of year as everybody else has just realised its getting cold and i need some wood fast :eek: Get as much as you can of that good stuff. How easy is it to split? can you get through it with the hand splitter?

yes, im like a man possessed right now...ive got a vision of how much wood i want lined up along this fence and im only like 10% done...hahha....the wood im picking up tomorrow is yellowbox....really tough to split and i do it all by hand..i remember last time i split and stacked 2 ute loads and i was sooo sore the next day...its hard as nails.....then the other old wood im getting is stringy bark...did you see i ended up getting 12 pallets last night for my new pile!....very happy

Eucalyptus...good stuff. :cool: From the looks of it, it could be fairly dry already. I think you are stacking for next winter though, correct?

Yep im pretty much all set for 2013 so frantically hoarding for 2014 and beyond...but you are right, the wood i collected and split from that same pile early this year burns sweet already after spending a few hot months out in the sun... . I will put some on stand by if i run out this year...

Dude....that is some big wood

I can just imagine how that dulls the chains! Wow, what a job!

How spoiled am I though. last time i scrounged there my uncle actually turned up with his monster stihl and did the hard work for me cuz ive only got a toy of a chainsaw...A lot of that wood is cut to length. i will have to do some cutting today though and the chain is sharpened and ready...

ok boys....we have had redemption! two loads of yellow box with a few bits of stringy bark....im no expert but suspect if the wood had of been laying out in the open much longer it might have gone to waste. but i split it all today and seems quality and half dry.... damn its gnarly wood to process but burns so good so my sore back tomorrow will be worth it. I plan on stacking on my 2014 pile tomorrow, will get picks then.

Had some nice guests when i arrived and they didn't seem to fussed about me sawing and splitting wood. Kangaroos are awesome, beautiful animals..!!!

EDIT. looking back at the shot of kangaroos, there are actually two in that shot. One is just harder to see...

Attachments

• 20130525_090110.jpg
    20130525_090110.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20130525_090255.jpg
    20130525_090255.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20130525_090309.jpg
    20130525_090309.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20130525_111002.jpg
    20130525_111002.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20130525_111019.jpg
    20130525_111019.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20130525_120213.jpg
    20130525_120213.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20130525_120545.jpg
    20130525_120545.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 131
  • 20130525_135415.jpg
    20130525_135415.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 122
ok boys....we have had redemption! two loads of yellow box with a few bits of stringy bark....im no expert but suspect if the wood had of been laying out in the open much longer it might have gone to waste. but i split it all today and seems quality and half dry.... damn its gnarly wood to process but burns so good so my sore back tomorrow will be worth it. I plan on stacking on my 2014 pile tomorrow, will get picks then.

Had some nice guests when i arrived and they didn't seem to fussed about me sawing and splitting wood. Kangaroos are awesome, beautiful animals..!!!

EDIT. looking back at the shot of kangaroos, there are actually two in that shot. One is just harder to see...
Dude....that's a lotta wood:cool:

Looks like you got it in the 'nick of time; can't let good wood go to waste [seen enough of that happening post Sandy, it would bring a tear to your eye].

Sometimes upover it's hard to imagine it ever gets cold in Melb'n. Say hi to my rels in Adelaide, mate, and erm Go Crows!

Amazing how much alike the hide is on the roos vs whitetail deer.

Sometimes upover it's hard to imagine it ever gets cold in Melb'n. Say hi to my rels in Adelaide, mate, and erm Go Crows!

Ha ha...it does get cold. Thats why i love melbourne. Stinking hot summers, cold winters, beautiful changes of season. Where i live is an hour out of the CBD up in the mountains....We get some pretty lame snow but not every winter. But mornings in winter are often around zero and doesn't feel like it gets much warmer throughout the day....

Only been to Adelaide once and have got some crazy stories to tell about that place. It can get pretty wild over there!

Status
Not open for further replies.