Time Saving Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I had an interesting experience over the weekend that left me appreciating the right tool for the right job at a whole new level. This may sound silly, but it came in the form of an apple peeler/corer/slicer. We make tons of apple sauce/pies/etc for the past couple years now. Last year was painstaking effort with a pairing knife. What would have taken 4 hours last year now takes 20 minutes.

I LITERALLY FEEL STUPID for not having bought one earlier. But I didn't even know such a tool existed, which really doesn't make me feel better. That got my wondering what else I don't know about.

Anyone else have a similar experience...like you don't know how you lived before getting ______________?

I experience that sensation every time I borrow my buddies log splitter:)

Well after we bought our first house a few years ago there wasn't much extra cash lying around to buy tools for DIY projects. I had the ussual hand tools & was lucky enough to receive a Ryobi 18V drill/recip saw/circ saw combo for the following Christmas. Now AFTER doing some baseboards, trimming new windows & doors for the whole house I bought a reconditioned compressor and finish nailer :) to install car siding and trim in a room I'm renovating. I got a great deal, but unfortunately it did not include a rebate on the countless hours I spent with the hammer and nail punch...

I'm sorry, but this reminded me...

Attachments

• jackie.jpg
    jackie.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 591
lukem said:
I LITERALLY FEEL STUPID for not having bought one earlier. But I didn't even know such a tool existed, which really doesn't make me feel better. That got my wondering what else I don't know about.

Anyone else have a similar experience...like you don't know how you lived before getting ______________?

I had a similar experience last weekend. Check out:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76391/

These days I don't mind being assigned this type of project by the wife. It kind of turns into Christmas time for me as I get to buy tools I've always wanted - which are necessary to get the job done.

BTW, where did you get your peeler? How much did it cost? I've got apple orchards also and up to now have been giving them away.

. . . . 18 volt cordless drill and impact driver . . . especially the impact driver. I still tell my wife how much I love that tool every time I use it . . . more than enough power to get the job done.

. . . electric brad nailer . . . makes putting up trim easy-peasy -- and no more smushed thumbs and fingers from trying to hold the tiny finish nails.

also for use in the food prep...a mandolin. I slice well enough by hand, for an amateur, but the mandolin really makes short work of stuff...especially if you like consistency. The only thing I dont like is the inherent danger of the mandolin. One must be focused, and stay focused or suffer.

HeatsTwice said:
BTW, where did you get your peeler? How much did it cost? I've got apple orchards also and up to now have been giving them away.

It is the "Ironwood Gourmet Clamp On Apple Machine". Not sure if it is the best of the best, but sure does work great. Got mine online...can't really remember, but i think it was from Kohls.

Delta-T said:
also for use in the food prep...a mandolin. I slice well enough by hand, for an amateur, but the mandolin really makes short work of stuff...especially if you like consistency. The only thing I dont like is the inherent danger of the mandolin. One must be focused, and stay focused or suffer.

I always cringe when I watch people use those on food network shows...just waiting for them to go a bit too far...good tool though.

My brain hurts.

I had a revelation a few months ago after I used a tool belt for the first time. I've had this belt for a few years and never used it until I changed the fascia and soffit on my house a few months ago and actually used the belt. I remember standing on my ladder thinking how great this %*&$ belt was, everything all organized in my reach like Batman. Now I couldn't imagine not using the tool belt for doing work around the house. Speaking of tools, I felt like one for not using a tool belt up until recently.

Jutt77 said:
I had a revelation a few months ago after I used a tool belt for the first time. I've had this belt for a few years and never used it until I changed the fascia and soffit on my house a few months ago and actually used the belt. I remember standing on my ladder thinking how great this %*&$ belt was, everything all organized in my reach like Batman. Now I couldn't imagine not using the tool belt for doing work around the house. Speaking of tools, I felt like one for not using a tool belt up until recently.

+1 Without a tool belt I'd spend way more time looking for where I put the "__________" then actually working. Also +1 on the impact driver. So worth it

A few tools I think are simply required for around the house (beyond the $20 generic tool kit):
Nail gun
air compressor
band saw
angle grinder
laser level, it makes hanging pictures a snap

specialty stuff:
If you are doing a project, but all the tools, probably better than renting.
If you are doing tile work, get a cheap tile saw, WAY better than those tile snappers. get the float and all for the grout work too.

Great thread, as I am trying to add a little muscle to my tool box.

Drywall lifter.

NEW Lenox Diemaster 2 Bi-metal bandsaw blade.It may not seem very bad when pushing 1" or 2" thick dry wood through with a blade thats almost done.Install a new one & even 6" thick very green stock practically feeds itself.Heat from constant sawing & little or no set to the teeth is the biggest enemy of these blades. Well that & the occasional unseen broken or rusted off concrete screw or hardened nail that's buried in the log or beam. ;-)

I bought one of those newfangled gasoline-powered saws that cut by using a revolving bicycle chain with teeth on it. Works much better than that old hatchet.

Battenkiller said:
I bought one of those newfangled gasoline-powered saws that cut by using a revolving bicycle chain with teeth on it. Works much better than that old hatchet.

cant fool me BK....like a board stretcher, or turbo encabulator. Next thing you know you'll be telling us about this device that cooks food with microwaves.

Pressure washer,never had one before, someone gave me a broken one, replaced a $3.00 part and now it works.
I pressured washed the steps, it removed all the dirt and moss, looks like brand new. :lol:

- Brad nailer: Got it to use for temporarily attaching cedar strips to canoe forms. Now I find it is the ideal tool for assembling and pre-assemling just about any small project made out of wood. I put new nailing blocks in Lady BK's old cedar flower boxes and she'll get another 2-3 years out of them. Took like half an hour for three of them, and they're more solid than when she bought them.

- Metal-cutting band saw: Got one of those cheap Taiwanese horizontal ones for $30 at a used tool sale. It makes slow but perfect, clean cuts in heavy tubing and plate. The motor mounting plate was cracked and bent, but 5 minutes with a hammer and two minutes with the mig welder and it was working fine. Which brings me to...

- Mig welder: Got it after taking a metal sculpture course. Gave up metal sculpture a long time ago, but I use the welder all the time. I'm building a log arch with it right now, but I mostly use it for other folks' projects. Everyone should have one, so they can fix their own $hit. That would be a big time saver for me.

JimboM said:
Drywall lifter.

That's a good one. I did a bathroom once (only two sheets on the ceiling) with a 2x4 T. Shortly after I helped my dad do the ceiling in his garage (probably 20 sheets). Unbelievable time saver.

I'll add some more.

1.) Good lawn mower - saves a ton of time. I can mow my 3 acres in about an hour. Would take 4 or 5 with your typical rider.
2.) Headlamp (head mounted flashlight) - it's like having a third hand.
3.) Leaf blower - used for way more than blowing leaves. I haven't pushed a broom in my garage or shop in years.
4.) Post driver/auger. Digging with a manual digger seems ridiculous after using one. I don't own one, but have borrowed and rented.

If you find on of theses? Then find one of these... :cheese:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 206
  • caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 202
Status
Not open for further replies.