Time To Bring Out The Machete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Cold temps require loading with big coals still in stove. Stove loads front to back. I use a machete (Fiskars!) to pile coals to one side. I think I can fit more wood in that way. Machete is a little floppy, but that's all I could find.

machete-danny-trejo-image.jpg
Gotta love the multi-taskers! And you can't go wrong with a machete...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blazing
Cold temps require loading with big coals still in stove. Stove loads front to back. I use a machete (Fiskars!) to pile coals to one side. I think I can fit more wood in that way. Machete is a little floppy, but that's all I could find.
Hey velvefoot....yeah, having the same issue with these really cold temps. I wanted to reload before bed last night but had a big coal bed to deal with first. I use an ash rake to rake the coals forward to the front of the firebox and place a bone dry small to medium split on top to burn them down. Seems to work fairly well...although my coal bed was so big last night I had to repeat the process before I could easily get a full load of wood back in the firebox. There is a really good article on the excessive coaling you can get with tube stove in frigid weather at woodheat.org . The article provides a step by step on this method of burning down coals quickly.

I personally don't think adding wood helps. Lately I've been fluffing up the coals with the poker and maybe rake some forward to the front where the air hole is, open air all the way, and close door. Maybe repeat a few times. Then, out comes the machete and the squeezing in the wood.

Reactions: Highbeam
In real cold weather sometimes you need to shovel the coals out. Ya hate to do it, but sometimes you just need the heat and there isn't a choice. When it gets into the -teens and 20s u you can be looking at quite a difference in temp to the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.