Time to call a pro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
I have a large shagbark hickory tree on the edge of my property, two large leaders come down on one side. The lower lead fell taking half the tree with it. It stopped breaking about 12 feet above the ground and the top is grounded. The upper leader split about 50 feet up and is stuck in a crotch of another tree. Just to complicate it, between the two is a dead cherry tree, and a good maple right up against the hickory. The cherry tree is stable for now. I am nervous to work below the upper branch, widow maker, to clear the lower branch. It fell onto my neighbors property, but its not obstructing anything and he's fine with it being there for a while. I'm not in a rush to cut it up, and my stacks are fully stocked, but next spring it will be useful. Maybe time to call a pro. Any thoughts?

IMG_6455_1.jpg

IMG_6452_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I that's what I was thinking. I don't have any problem with the lower, its the top one that I can't do. Don't really want to take the whole thing, but I might have to. There's no structures around to worry about, so whichever way it goes, no problem! haha

Don't really want to take the whole thing, but I might have to

might as well, trees pretty much shot now anyways. Only time i'd ever call a pro is if there's a structure involved, but that's me. Each man has to know his limitations.

Ropes, chains and, come along or Rachets can be a good safety precaution to ensure it goes the way you want. Whatever you do just be careful!

Reactions: Jeffm1
I agree with others......think this is one that can be handled in house. I would cut the lower branch up with a friend as a spotter for the upper. Fell the cherry to get it out of the way, unless it's holding the upper branch in any way. Then cut the notch/hinge parallel (facing the open field) to the upper branch as it looks like it could be felled that way anyway using good wedges and/or chains. Be cautious and deliberate....those branches can have some very deceptive tension and compression in them. Good PPE too. Good luck.

Cuttng the lower branch does not look like a problem for me except that it will require you to stand under that widowmaker. Wear a hardhat and PPE!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
So I finally got around to cutting up the lower limb. It is huge. The pics don't do it justice. I've got about 10 feet away from the break limbed up. The problem is the rest of the limb is just hanging in air about 15 feet out of reach. The upper limb is still hanging above and is a constant worry. The two smaller cherry trees have died and will be addressed soon. There is actually another decent size tree right up next to the hickory that is also in the way (seen in Pic #2). I see no hope for it, unless I take that one too.

I forgot to take pics of today's action, sorry guys.

Too bad a good storm didn't vote by and do the dirty work. I have a dead hickory (got struck by lightning) hung up between my yard and the neighbors house. It had only two ways to come down, the neighbors house or power lines. Last spring a storm knocked most of it down and it couldn't have fell in a better spot, missed both the house and power lines. There still about 60 feet of another dead tree I'd like to get, hoping for another storm might be asking too much.

Reactions: Jay106n
Too bad a good storm didn't vote by and do the dirty work. I have a dead hickory (got struck by lightning) hung up between my yard and the neighbors house. It had only two ways to come down, the neighbors house or power lines. Last spring a storm knocked most of it down and it couldn't have fell in a better spot, missed both the house and power lines. There still about 60 feet of another dead tree I'd like to get, hoping for another storm might be asking too much.

I keep hoping for one, mother nautre took half the tree down, help me with the other half, but it doesn't seem to be happening. If a good storm would take the upper limb down, and leave the tree itself standing, I'd be thrilled.

Also I have way more work involved now, that I wouldn't pay anybody to do the job. I am just now trying to do it safely. In the same breath, I am in a wooded neighborhood, neither the tree or the limbs are threatening anybody's property, sooo a showdown with mother nature may be in order.

Last edited:
Know anyone with a winch? That one is a piece of cake if you do.

I might rent a cherry picker.

I have a tree right now that started to fall the wrong direction and got hung up in an oak at about a 10-15 degree grade. I walked away. I'm not risking it.

Sometimes you have to put your project ego aside and understand that overcoming challenging situations can get you into trouble.

I'd leave it. Who cares.

Reactions: Jason763
I have a similar situation. I'm going to throw a rope up into the hanger, and use a come-along to try to pull it out, but not sure the rope I have is up to it. I really don't want to stand underneath it and cut the base. Probably not a smart risk to take with mine.

Remember any healthcare costs will be way higher than whatever a tree service is going to charge to get it down. Weigh the downside risk compared to the upside.

The line between brave and foolhardy can be razor thin, sometimes only discernable after the fact.

Reactions: Jason763
The line between brave and foolhardy can be razor thin, sometimes only discernable after the fact.
Or as I like to say, experience is what you get right after you needed it.

Be careful out there. And always remember to videotape your work. A viral video can help you recoup your health care expenses! ;)

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman