Time to call the Arbourist.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Got back to work today to find this,
CommunicationLineHazardBombDump25Oct2010.jpg

Two large Trembling Aspen laying across my comms cable. Trees are being held up by a 1/2'' wire strand that has streched the cable and strand by at least 10-12'. Hard to say which way the trees and strand are going to go once cut. Trees measure about 6' in circumference. This has DANGER written all over it, so time to call the experts.

Call your cable company! They should do it for you!

I'd link you to that YouTube "splitting logs with black powder" video, but it's blocked at work. :lol:

I don't think the trees are being held up by the cable, i think they are leaning on the trees on the opposite side of the road. I wonder how they'll take care of that.

Danno77 said:
I don't think the trees are being held up by the cable, i think they are leaning on the trees on the opposite side of the road. I wonder how they'll take care of that.

More black powder and/or just take down the other trees, clearly! :lol:

Danno77 said:
cut above the wire 1-2ft with the technique of= cut trunk bottom cut first & top cut after?

Bubbavh said:
That's the problem, I am the cable company!!! I am a lineman for the Canadian forces and that is my cable that we put up about a year ago. I know my limits however and will not touch this thing.

Danno77, you are right. It is a bit of both really. Combination of the trees and the wire strand. Would have been easier to deal with if the cable had snapped. Right now their is so much tension on the strand that the whole run of cable is about to snap. I got that weird gut feeling of something is not right and just called the experts to deal with it.

Bubbavh said:

+1
They typically have a tree trimming outfit they deal with.
May be free or may be less than if you called.

Unless you just want to try it, I'd call a pro.
Lots of stored energy in that cable, May have wood & wire going several directions when the tops are removed.

I agree Shari, lol. Fact is I have no gear at this workplace. No bucket truck, no pulleys, etc. Hope to get a few pics of the pros when they come in. Apparently they are used by the hydro company when they don't wan to touch something.

A man needs to know his limitations. I wouldn't touch it.

Here, hold my beer... :lol:

It's not that hard to cut those, you just have to be careful and realize the wire is under tension. When we cut trees on lines like that, (when I worked for a tree company) we would always rope the lines under tension and tie them off just for extra insurance. (If it was electrical, we had to get the electric company to certify they were dead first.) Then we could cut the parts of the tree above the line first. Next, under cut the tree resting on the line. A bucket truck also appears to be a necessity in this case. And always try to stay on the side where the line will NOT go. That's not a text book step by step process, but you get the idea.

Most any utility company whose wires they are on will take those down for free.

Nic36 said:
It's not that hard to cut those, you just have to be careful and realize the wire is under tension. When we cut trees on lines like that, (when I worked for a tree company) we would always rope the lines under tension and tie them off just for extra insurance. (If it was electrical, we had to get the electric company to certify they were dead first.) Then we could cut the parts of the tree above the line first. Next, under cut the tree resting on the line. A bucket truck also appears to be a necessity in this case. And always try to stay on the side where the line will NOT go. That's not a text book step by step process, but you get the idea.

Most any utility company whose wires they are on will take those down for free.
Good advice. If I had a bucket truck I would give it a go. As for staying on the side where the line will not go, that is a big part of the issue, the stand is located on the road side and should anthing let go, the 2 trees, cable and stand are all going to fall towards the road. Not possible to stay on the oppisite side. Thanks for the info however.

I was just saying it is not that hard, but you do have to have the equipment. I know not everyone drives around in a bucket truck.

I don't know the details but your company probably contracts out with another company for stuff like that.

SKIN052 said:
Bubbavh said:
That's the problem, I am the cable company!!! I am a lineman for the Canadian forces and that is my cable that we put up about a year ago. I know my limits however and will not touch this thing.

Danno77, you are right. It is a bit of both really. Combination of the trees and the wire strand. Would have been easier to deal with if the cable had snapped. Right now their is so much tension on the strand that the whole run of cable is about to snap. I got that weird gut feeling of something is not right and just called the experts to deal with it.

HehHeh . . . :) :) :)

Nic36 said:
...we would always rope the lines under tension and tie them off just for extra insurance.

Do you mean tying the wires so that they stay stretched once the tree is removed? Good plan. I would never have thought of that, but it is so obvious now that I read it. I guess that's why I would hire a pro for this one.

just went to look and trees are down. Apparently they were in the area and got er done. No pics sorry. Looks like they did indeed top them first and then cut them as half the tree is on one side and the half on the other. Cable does not seemed too damaged at all. All is well.

Damm, I was just about to leave to come and cut them up for ya' ;)

Flatbedford said:
Nic36 said:
...we would always rope the lines under tension and tie them off just for extra insurance.

Do you mean tying the wires so that they stay stretched once the tree is removed? Good plan. I would never have thought of that, but it is so obvious now that I read it. I guess that's why I would hire a pro for this one.

Yeah, we would rope the wires down to a good tree or even to the bucket truck, and after the tree(s) were off the line, we would loosen the rope or ropes-usually only one rope in most cases. The bull ropes we used had like a 15,000 pound breaking strength if memory serves.

Good to hear they were removed. I know you are relieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.