Time to go to work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HitzerHillbilly

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2014
Northern Indiana
Well, here in northern Indiana we have had a lot of rain. That being said I have had standing water in my woods for a period of time and with a little wind I've had 4 big oaks come down. Just up-rooted. Now the water is gone and it's time to get to cuttin/splittin! [emoji2]

Yep, us Hoosiers been gettin' hosed all summer. Not a good one for drying the wood stacks, that's for sure. <> Red Oaks? I've got plenty of Whites here, too, but everything that's on the ground or standing dead are Reds...

Getting my wood shed filled up. A mixture of balsam fir (we call it var) tamarack (we call it juniper) and black spruce (we call it black spruce) :)

Attachments

• IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    657.4 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
Well, here in northern Indiana we have had a lot of rain. That being said I have had standing water in my woods for a period of time and with a little wind I've had 4 big oaks come down. Just up-rooted. Now the water is gone and it's time to get to cuttin/splittin! [emoji2]
We've had a pretty bad summer here too. We had frost warnings in July and temps of 5-10 C were normal until a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
Wow , frost warnings!!!. It's coming here soon enough tho. I dropped a monster standing dead red oak for friend and am getting all the wood from it , if it will quit raining long enough for me to get it all out<>

Reactions: D8Chumley
We've had a pretty bad summer here too. We had frost warnings in July and temps of 5-10 C were normal until a couple of weeks ago.
We've had a few heat waves here, I think this is #4? People complain about the heat and I tell 'me remember last winter? Enjoy the heat, the cold will be here before you know it. That said, a frost warning mid Summer? I can't even imagine that

We've had a few heat waves here, I think this is #4? People complain about the heat and I tell 'me remember last winter? Enjoy the heat, the cold will be here before you know it. That said, a frost warning mid Summer? I can't even imagine that
The weather is just so strange. Today it was about 30C tomorrow 17C is forecasted as the high.

Crazy how it changes ain't it? I remember a two winters ago we had one day a -45°F with the wind chill, next day was 45°F......90°F swing in temp in 24 hours.
Yes for sure. The only month we haven't had snow here is August.

Snow in July? Are you on the island or in Labrador?

Never realized it was quite that cold there.

Yes, years ago I went on a trip to Maine and driving home close to the end of June there was snow building up on the wipers.

Yes, years ago I went on a trip to Maine and driving home close to the end of June there was snow building up on the wipers.

So a trip to Maine for you must be like us Mainiacs traveling to Florida . . . ;) :)

Reactions: bodhran
Status
Not open for further replies.