Time to light the match in New England???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
USA
After today, it looks like it's going to be cool in New England for the remainder of the week. I didn't think I'd need heat for at least another month. I'm doing a hearth rebuild so it appears the pellet stove is going to get some exercise this week.

I'm determined to hold off until October. I haven't even had my chimney swept yet. Where in New England are you located?

I'm on the CT shoreline, but I was just looking at the weather forecast and it looks like MA is going to be even cooler. If you're close to the ocean, it will stay a little warmer, but it looks like we'll still need to do a little heating this week if you want the house to be above 60°.

I will hold off until at least October. I would prefer to hold off until November, but I dont see that happening this year.

dont do it! fight the urge! you will be happy you did!

why? i light mine when it's cold in the house

hence the reason i have TONS of wood and a wood stove

For the past several years I've held out to Nov. 1 (or very close to it), but this year I'm going with Steve's philosophy... if the house is cold, wood will burn.

Wet1 said:
After today, it looks like it's going to be cool in New England for the remainder of the week. I didn't think I'd need heat for at least another month. I'm doing a hearth rebuild so it appears the pellet stove is going to get some exercise this week.

Will have a fire tonight in Northern New York to take the chill off, dropping down in the low 40's.

Zap

In years past, I have waited until I just couldn't bear it any more. This will be my first year heating the entire season with wood, so I'll just play it by ear. I used to hold out so long because of the $, and because I wouldn't let the furnace take my house past 64* anyway. It will be nice to be warm the entire winter this year. That being said, I'll still hold out for a while.

This weekend in VT...without a doubt. It's going to be around 39f Saturday night in Southern VT. I refuse to turn on the propane.

No need to fire up the stove yet, just put on a sweatshirt for now.

Central MA here and the next 3 day (Wed-Fri) are in the 60's for highs and low 50's for lows.

In terms of the heat degree day figure, these days calculate as 56, 56 and 59 degree days. With 65 as the suggested number to avoid using heat, these days equal about 6 to 9 degrees of heat needed to maintain 65.

Indoor temps will be around 65 to 68 in my house. Maybe a tad bit cooler in the AM.

I'm not sure where you are in central MA, but I think you might be over estimating the temps for the next few days. I just looked at zip code 01562 (Spencer MA) and weather.com is showing the following for the 10 day:

Today
Sep 15
Mostly Sunny
75°
51°

Wed
Sep 16
Cloudy
57°
45°

Thu
Sep 17
Cloudy
59°
48°

Fri
Sep 18
Few Showers
65°
45°

Sat
Sep 19
Partly Cloudy
63°
41°

Sun
Sep 20
Sunny
65°
45°

Mon
Sep 21
Scattered Showers
65°
51°

Tue
Sep 22
Few Showers
66°
51°

Wed
Sep 23
Showers
68°
50°

Thu
Sep 24
Showers
65°
49°

Was 72 in the house this morning. I don't think I really can justify burning for heat until it gets down below 65.

As eager as I am to really start burning I'm glad to save the wood. I don't have an excessive supply (contrary to what my wife and neighbors may think) so the longer the better. I know that once I start really going I won't want to stop. Once I start enjoying that radiant heat from the stove in the morning I'll want to have it every day no matter what the temperature is as it just feels so good - like a hot shower but you can keep going back to it. Best to wait as long as possible or my resolve to burn for heat rather than just pleasure will fall to pieces and I'll go through 1/4 of my wood before it is even REALLY cold.

Wet1 said:
I'm not sure where you are in central MA, but I think you might be over estimating the temps for the next few days. I just looked at zip code 01562 (Spencer MA) and weather.com is showing the following for the 10 day:

I really never liked weather.com for forcasts in the local region. They are usaully off by a few degree's either way. I use wbz or whdh online weather. Either way, I don't plan on using the stove just yet.

Skier76 said:
This weekend in VT...without a doubt. It's going to be around 39f Saturday night in Southern VT. I refuse to turn on the propane.

Skier76 we went to So.Burlington last weekend and caught a couple of hockey games at the Woodchuck Classic, had a nice trip.

Zap

zapny said:
Skier76 said:

Skier76 we went to So.Burlington last weekend and caught a couple of hockey games at the Woodchuck Classic, had a nice trip.

Zap

It's nice up there this time of year. I'm looking forward to see some early foliage this weekend.

stejus said:
Wet1 said:

I really never liked weather.com for forcasts in the local region. They are usaully off by a few degree's either way. I use wbz or whdh online weather. Either way, I don't plan on using the stove just yet.

Whdh is great if you live in the Boston area, but out towards Worcester and west of there you really need a more local weather source for temps. I just go by house temp, anyways. A little cool, I light the insert on the main floor. When it's downright cold, I'll light the basement stove (Harman Oakwood) and use the insert to supplement as necessary.

Hold off??? My wood's just itching to start burning. :cheese:

It won't be long and I'm looking forward to having a nice fire in the stove. I haven't even swept our own chimney yet. I should probably get around to doing that this weekend.

Putting the kids to bed tonight and my wife asked why it's so cold in here. I responded that it was warm and that she just has a little chill. That should buy me a little more time...then I'll have to hide the thermometer.

With the WifeUnit's hot flashes this year I'll be lucky if I light the stove at all.
:)
HappyWife HappyLife
In the meantine I'm preparing my 2011-2012 wood pile.
My mouth waters everytime I look at the beast though; the stove that is.
:O

I Can't light the stove yet, I have not installed or even bought it yet. Maybe I will swing by HD tonight

Last night bottomed out at 52 degrees. It was still 70 degree's throughout the house this morning. I think I'm good through the rest of the long range forecast. One never knows in NE though.

We were at a comfy 72° in our house this morning. As long as it stays above 64° or so in the house, I'll refrain from striking the match.

Wet1 said:
We were at a comfy 72° in our house this morning. As long as it stays above 64° or so in the house, I'll refrain from striking the match.

Was about the same here and that may well be about the same policy I'll try to stick to.

Looking at the long range forecast and the norms for Sept it looks like they are expecting pretty close to the average temps to hold for rest of this month. If so, I just might make it into October before needing to heat if we get decent solar gain during the days. Can always bake a loaf of bread, make cookies or something (ok I know, that is cheating - but it does taste good) if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.