Tiny boat attempt on the Atlantic failed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'm glad he found the leak quickly! The keel size is interesting for a boat that size!

Reactions: woodgeek
It reminded me of a bobber, lol.

I imagine the keel allowed it to carry a bit more sail, but yeah, it’d sail as well as I’d expect a bouy to!

Tacking into the wind would be out. Reaching should be ok with that keel. Running, well, slowly, lol. There couldn’t be too much force levered onto the front of it in any direction!

I imagine they chose the route from NA to Europe to take advantage of the current flowing east in the North Atlantic, so maybe the idea was to sit and bob!

There have been quite a few trans Atlantic crossings in very small boats. If you like audiobooks, check out the podcast Rare Nautical Reads by Chris Stanmore-Major, for historic stories of at least two of them, that I can remember.