tiny leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

free75degrees

Apr 6, 2008
Boston Area
I have a very slow leak in a black pipe union I just installed. It probably only leaks a drop an hour or so. Will this leak seal itself over time? Should I use some of that leak sealer treatment I see at HD and Lowes?

I have had more piping leaks in my lifetime than anyone could imagine. Take it from me-it ain't goin away. The only real way to deal with it is to find out why it is leaking and fix it. The union should be up clean, up tight and square. Use thread antisieze to lubricate the threads so they will tighten easier. Use bigger wrenches if you have to or just replace the thing. You'll be glad you did.

Mike

Yup, bigger wrenches is good advice. Some teensy copper pipe dribbles may corrode closed over time, but not steel/iron in my experience.

ok, thanks. I'll try using some cheater pipes on my wrenches and see if they get it tight enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.