Tips for Break-In After Saw Rebuild?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
So I finally finished up some of my projects that have been languishing out in the garage for more than a year, one of which was the rebuild of a Stihl 028 Super. Bought it and it ran OK, but there was some pretty bad carbon scoring, and it needed a full rebuild.

Got the time today and got the jug cleaned up, new piston in, and everything back together. Much to my delight, it actually started up and ran! Hooray! So now what I really need to know is the right way to break the sucker in.

I did a carb rebuild while I was at it, and I need to perform that adjustment also, but I dont want to go too rich or lean while breaking it in. Any tips/thoughts?

Run it wot you want the rings to seat full stroke!

Reactions: Thistle and Nixon
Two trains of thought here:
One says run it on the rich side for the extra lube while breaking in. Vary the amount of throttle used and the load for the first 1/2 tank, then good to go.
The other says run it jetted correctly and go to town (use as normal).
I break in two stroke bikes using the first scenario and have had no issues. Nickasil lined or steel.

Run it like its already broken in . Just make sure your mixture is set correctly .

Reactions: Thistle and smokinj
I've never worried much about break-in. Best way to break in a new saw is to cut down a tree and buck it up. Saw should do nicely. Just make sure you have the carb set right.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Now I just need to get things tuned properly so it doesnt go and blow up again (first time wasnt my fault, I bought it that way). Its pretty smoky still since it was burning off the oil I used to lube it with. Ill wait until next weekend and try to put it to use. I dont have anything to really cut up with it just yet, only some sumac to trim, and thats not how I want to break it in. Ill have to go drop a tree and buck it up.

Should I expect to have to make any changes to the settings as I run it? I figure the rings will seat and that should only help matters, but I dont know how that will impact the carb adjustment.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Now I just need to get things tuned properly so it doesnt go and blow up again (first time wasnt my fault, I bought it that way). Its pretty smoky still since it was burning off the oil I used to lube it with. Ill wait until next weekend and try to put it to use. I dont have anything to really cut up with it just yet, only some sumac to trim, and thats not how I want to break it in. Ill have to go drop a tree and buck it up.

Should I expect to have to make any changes to the settings as I run it? I figure the rings will seat and that should only help matters, but I dont know how that will impact the carb adjustment.

I dont have the link handy but you should be able to tune on the fly every second the saw is running. You should be able to spot it half mile away!

Ive listened to the link from Madsen's and done some reading here and on some other sites about tuning, so Ill just keep my ears open and screwdriver handy.

Reactions: smokinj
Ive listened to the link from Madsen's and done some reading here and on some other sites about tuning, so Ill just keep my ears open and screwdriver handy.

Yep, if you've listened to that carefully you should be fine. I break mine in under load & vary the throttle position to seat the rings. Run her a little rich to be safe before the final tune. For me usually after 3 tanks or so. A C

Reactions: Nixon and smokinj

Nothing better you should be able here the tree service screwing up from 1/2 mile. Believe me I can even tell what saw or saws there using.;)

Nothing better you should be able here the tree service screwing up from 1/2 mile. Believe me I can even tell what saw or saws there using.;)

HAHA me too. Week ago Saturday evening after dinner I heard a saw close by in the neighborhood.Went outside to look & it was neighbor across my busy street.In his backyard behind the 6ft tall wooden privacy fence.

HUGE clouds of smoke,by the sound it was really struggling with whatever he was trying to cut.The problem was 1 of several things.

1) Small underpowered saw trying to tackle too much.2) Very dull or improperly sharpened chain.3) Incompetent operator. 4) ALL of the above. The incessant whine went on for almost 20 minutes,then finally silence.I figured saw either blew up,run out of fuel or the guy just gave up.;);lol Was almost ready to walk across the street with the 288XP,lean over the fence & ask "Hey buddy,you sound like you need some help...."

Status
Not open for further replies.