Tips for cutting through moss covered bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
I need to take down a bunch of Honey Locust that are starting to clog my property. The problem is that most of the trunks are covered in moss which is filled with dirt. I can usually make it through about one or two small trees, (just downing them) so two cuts, and my chain is toast. Any ideas or techniques I can use to get around this problem? Thanks

Wow, that doesn't sound fun. I've never had to deal with that, but if you've got a lot of this work to do then maybe a carbide chain would be worthwhile.

Scrape the moss off first. Or if the moss is more on one side, spin it around so that the moss is on the bottom.

That's what i was thinking too Hogz, I'm going to take a hatchet and make a ring to cut in. Man is that thorny stuff nasty to cut.

Try this. When the chain has blunted use it to pre-cut only the moss where you are going to cut. A blunt chain should cut through moss easily. When all the pre-cuts have been made use a sharp chain to finish the job. It will take a bit of time but so does sharpening the chain every two cuts. Or maybe remove the moss with a wire brush? Obviously only where you are going to make the cut.

I cut a lot of Locus on my property usually downed or standing dead/half dead, I use a hatchet to knock off the bark where Im going to start my cut and try an get as much as I can off. 99% of the locus in my piles have no bark now

How far is it away from a water hook up?

If it's close use a power washer.

Great idea, but way too far for a water hook up. I'll try several of the suggestions to see what works the best.

Wire brush?

I've used that a couple times on a windfall, to cut the trunk off up close to an upturned root ball that had dirt all over it. Not sure how it would work here....

There's an idea. Wire wheel and a cordless grinder.

When you make your cut, run the chain so that it comes out of the wood then through the moss. Turn it over like Hogwildz said .

Ya, after I wrote about wire brush, I had a second thought about a wire wheel in a cordless drill.

A bigger wheel in a cordless grinder would be even more capable, if you've got a cordless grinder - should buzz around a line of cut in no time. I repainted my winter steel wheels last spring, and wire wheeled them first with a Red Greened wheel + corded grinder setup. It spun that wheel like 2x what the specs on it said to (like, 10,000rpm vs. 4500), but it sure peeled stuff off in a hurry. It also kicked off bits of wire too though, some of which periodically showed up over the following months in most unexpected places & ways. Ouch...

You can start by getting a carbide chain and girdling every single one of them up waist high or past the point of moss in advance.Give it a year and the bark will fall off. That locust will last a long time standing dead.A lot less hassle.What type of chain do you currently run?

Standard Husqvarna H30 chain.