Tips on cleaning up a VC griddle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
I have to clean up a griddle(top load door) on a Resolute that has a lot of surface rust/stains on it,etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? If they are really bad is it best to just sand them down and hit them with quality black stove paint? I know the one on my newer Intrepid is more of a brushed steel and not painted. Were they always like this? It's in such bad shape I can't tell what it was supposed to look like.

wire wheel with either a grinder or drill and have at it it should clean up nicely

Better purchase that cat before the prices go up yess oder direct from stove combustors. I used pay pal arrived about 3 days.

Got you Pm but have been away and fishing the past 4 days no phones no computers just a lot of fun aND I HAVE FISH STORIES TO TELL

Could it be seasoned with Peanut/canola oil like a cast iro skillet?
Then you could cook some bacon and eggs on it, imagine dropping those drippings on a hot fire :eek:

we went to a picnic on monday and when asked i agreed to run the grill for them because they had grilled the day before and it got out of control on them. holy hamburger grease fire. had to back off several times just to get air. i could have used an oxygen mask. tears running down my face from the smoke. anyway...

i ordered my Defiant Encore cat from stovecombustors.com yesterday, also used Paypal. have gotten no confirmation of any kind from them other than it shows the money left my Paypal account. not a really great order interface. but if it shows up and is a good product i'll be satisfied. great price.

the cat I received from them exceeded the OEM Cats No complaints here just a great Cat.. VC told me they were better than the OEM cats when saked why they would not consider them they told me it was a price issue they could purchase the Oem's cheaper

I've had a couple VC's with the griddle top. I bought them used, and the top was always rusty when I got them (because they had been sitting for a while). I've always just pulled the griddle off, and sanded it down, and in just a few minutes - it was all bright and shiny again. I never coated it or painted, and they always stayed pretty clean looking - it will get some rust on it by the end of the season, or during the summer when its humid - but a quick wire brushing would take care of that quickly. I wouldn't paint it to "seal" it up - I think it looks better staying bright. I did have one that had been painted black previously, and when I sanded the top of the griddle down, the little "trough" around the edge obviously was still painted black - it actually looked even better that way (kind of like an "accent" or "boarder" around it).

ELK - hope you are going to post up some of the fishing stories - would love to hear them.

kwburn said:
I have to clean up a griddle(top load door) on a Resolute that has a lot of surface rust/stains on it,etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? If they are really bad is it best to just sand them down and hit them with quality black stove paint? I know the one on my newer Intrepid is more of a brushed steel and not painted. Were they always like this? It's in such bad shape I can't tell what it was supposed to look like.

I use a wire brush attachment on my grinders. With a little "elbow grease". After brushed, coat with a light film of any cooking oil. Yes, they come from the factory in a fresh brushed surface, no paint, covered with a wax paper and a light film of oil. Prior to curing the stove the oil is removed with soapy water and some paper towels.

Sean

thanks for the advice on this.
i did a couple of them since and generally speaking i guess i'd say as long as it hasn't been painted before they come out awesome regardless of how rusty they were before wire wheeling. they really shine up nice.
one that was either previously painted or just seriously stained didn't look all that hot even after wire wheeling so i ended up painting it the same color as the stove. hopefully it cures up ok.

i think the key to keeping your own looking like new is to stay on top of it and hit it at least once a year or maybe every other year and it should be easily maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.