1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tips on moving a heavy stove (with stone, in this case)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tickbitty, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    I bought a big old used hearthstone this week but we need to move it. It's in the guy's garage but we will have to bring some friends and get the thing into our pickup truck. I am concerned about the weight and because there are stones, I imagine that we have to be a bit more careful about this than if it was just a plain heavy object. I don't want to break them! Somebody suggested removing the doors, is that easily done? Any other tips to make it lighter or protect the stones, should we wrap the stove in blankets or something?

We have a dolly, not a great one but an OK one, maybe we should strap it to that? But it will still have to be lifted on, I can't think of anything we could use as a ramp.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jbrown56

jbrown56 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    bedford nh
    Hi, When the shop delivered my new stove, they used a dolly with arms like a forklift to take it off the truck. It seemed to work well. I don't know if you can rent one of these dollies, but it would make things a lot easier.

Jim
  3. milner351

milner351 Member

Loc:
    Belleville, MI
    this is obvious but, take as much of it apart as possible, remove the doors, fireplate, remove the bricks (may want to label where they go)

etc.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I purchased a soapstone stove last summer and it was crated....which only makes it heavier. The stove alone weighs 485 lbs.

Naturally we got a forklift to take it from the truck and then loaded it unto my trailer. When I got home, I then moved it from the trailer and unto a piano dolly....by myself! It set there for some time before we were ready for it in the house. But in the meantime I needed that dolly. So I removed it from the dolly...by myself and then put it back unto the dolly. When it came time to take it into the house, I put planks from ground level to the porch and with the help of two guys we got it into the house from there.

In the house we had built a hearth which is 16" high so it had to be lifted. We removed the crating material, removed the door and the top lid, then used two 2x4's that we slid under the stove (legs were on). We then lifted the 2x4's and the stove and placed it on the hearth. Worked like a charm and nobody got hurt.

On the Hearthstone stoves, you just open the door and lift straight up. Be careful as they are really heavy. You'll see the pins where the door fits so it is easy to replace that door when you are done.

If you are concerned, I'd suggest using strong 2 x 4's or 4 x 4"s and tie them to the stove before lifting. Have an extra guy in case the team does not lift it evenly. One guy can help balance.

Another suggestion is to rent a cart from U-Haul. One they use to move refrigerators. You can strap it right to the stove and roll it up planks.

Good luck on your new stove. You'll love it.
  5. DriftWood

DriftWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
    I second all that and a four wheel furniture dolly ( rented from U-Haul) and a small hydraulic auto jack work wonders.

I once walked one up out of a basement with three hired hands from a moving company when I was younger. We shoved it into a cargo van that day. .

Straight out the door and onto or out of the truck is the best if possible bumper at the door and truck bed at he same height as the floor inside then just wheeled on or off. Remember to get some of the weight on the fount wheels of the truck.
  6. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    Thank you all very much! This is a nice place to be and lots of help!
    I'll let you know how it goes. Haven't planned what day yet, have to line up all the guys!
  7. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    as far as ramps go does any of your friends have a set of 4 wheeler ramps that is what I used to load and unload my stove 4 wheeler ramps and an appliance dolly.
  8. bartlett920

bartlett920 New Member

Loc:
    Fort Scott Kansas
    Just buy a case of beer and some Tbones and I am sure you can get that stove moved anywhere you want!!!!!! Just move the stove before you break out the beer and steaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Dennis 2

Dennis 2 New Member

Loc:
    western MA
    I use a plastic kids toboggan . Put a ramp to the tailgate. put the stove on the toboggan and just slide it from inside the truck into the house . Only need two people .It slides over snow , grass and the cellar floor . I've moved stoves three time this year . total time to get it in the house from the truck was about five minutes . you can buy the toboggan from thru -value hardware .
  10. DriftWood

DriftWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
    Not on a hard wood floor you will ruin the finish gouging down to and into the wood.
  11. Dennis 2

Dennis 2 New Member

Loc:
    western MA
    Put a rug facing down under it
  12. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Hey, what's a "tickbitty" anyway???
  13. woodzilla

woodzilla New Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    What you need are two friends with strong backs and weak minds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.