Tired from all this "scrounging" ;)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Wood is falling into my lap again lately (not literally, but close!). First my next door neighbor had a Sycamore & 2 Locusts taken down & he helped me pull the limb-wood & upper trunks over to my stacks with a wheel barrow & my little yellow wagon (~ 1.5 cord?).

Then strong north winds from Sandy snapped this sick little Silver Maple in my back yard, dropping it perfectly with no damage other than a smashed bird feeder.

Getting back home from a job-site today I just got out of the car & heard the un-mistakable sound of a big chipper shredding limbs. Jumped back in the car, opened the window & followed the sound to just over a block away where I see my favorite Tree Co. working. The boom truck is full of what appears to be Oak! 20 minutes later the guy is unloading at my place & there's a 6-pack missing from my fridge. Still some work to do before it's firewood of course, but I can peck away at it now that it's on the premises.
Sometimes it's just that easy. :cool:

Attachments

• Thanks Sandy 002.jpg
    Thanks Sandy 002.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 244
  • 11-08-12 delivery 002.jpg
    11-08-12 delivery 002.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 11-08-12 delivery 003.jpg
    11-08-12 delivery 003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 199
Keep it coming.
No such thing as easy fire wood but some is easier than other ;)

Nice big pile of logs, you have some fun in your future.
Weather should be good for you to get after it.
Have fun

Reactions: midwestcoast
Wood is falling into my lap again lately (not literally, but close!). First my next door neighbor had a Sycamore & 2 Locusts taken down & he helped me pull the limb-wood & upper trunks over to my stacks with a wheel barrow & my little yellow wagon (~ 1.5 cord?).

Then strong north winds from Sandy snapped this sick little Silver Maple in my back yard, dropping it perfectly with no damage other than a smashed bird feeder.

Getting back home from a job-site today I just got out of the car & heard the un-mistakable sound of a big chipper shredding limbs. Jumped back in the car, opened the window & followed the sound to just over a block away where I see my favorite Tree Co. working. The boom truck is full of what appears to be Oak! 20 minutes later the guy is unloading at my place & there's a 6-pack missing from my fridge. Still some work to do before it's firewood of course, but I can peck away at it now that it's on the premises.
Sometimes it's just that easy. :cool:
Nice score midwestcoast, you sure that ya have a big enough area for that. :)
zap

heck of a deal, nice

That is a nice way to get tired.

Wow. Are you lucky. Good for you. Okay. Now that the niceties are over. I am jealous. Is that how you spell that? Make sure you replace the birdhouse. Hey, you could build it out of the tree. Cooooool.

Nice score midwestcoast, you sure that ya have a big enough area for that. :)
zap

No, not sure! I am sure that I need some more pallets though.

Nice job.... Get it while you can and keep it out of the land fill....hate to see good wood rot away.

I too hate the thought of it going to the land fill. Just seems stupid. Along those lines, I also got some wood chips for mulch last weekend from a pile left by another tree service.

In my few years as an urban scrounger I've gotten used to the rhythm of it. When it rains, it pours (usually when I have no time or no room, or it's 95 degrees out) and when I'm all ready to get scrounging there is little to be found. No need to worry about that now as what I've got on-site now should about take me through the 2015-16 season.

I wish I had your problems! Nice score.

I like it ! Easy is better than hard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.