Tis the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2013
Maine
Well, been burning since October and looking like it will be another year of wood gobbling . Woke up to 3 degrees the other day and forecast is for single digits with highs in the low 30s .

Had a bunch of limb cuts and kiln dried pallet wood stacked up for early season but am already chucking big stuff in the stove . Have been using some Canawick bricks mixed in also . Great to get the fire going and stove up to temp .

The one thing that gets me about this stove is having a stovetop temp at 650 but flue temp just 2 feet up only 320 to 350 . Rare to get it to hit 400 . Using both temp guages and laser gun , so know that the temps are correct . Thought I would have a creosote problem with flue temps like that but only got a large foldgers can of fine fluffy ash when I did my pre startup cleaning .

As per all the suggestions here , I am heading back out into the woods to drop trees for 2016 through 2018 . Trying to stay 2 years ahead . If it will be a " normal" winter I should not have to dig into next years wood like I did last year . Going to add 1 or 2 cord to each years piles from now on , lol .

Hoping to get far enough ahead to swap out to a a BK Princess .

Curious how many cords you went through and what's your sq feet? This is my first year burning and I'm anxious about how much we might use.

The one thing that gets me about this stove is having a stovetop temp at 650 but flue temp just 2 feet up only 320 to 350 . Rare to get it to hit 400 .

If that is single wall pipe the internal temp is about twice as much at 600 to 800 F. That's pretty good as you only need to stay above 250 F to keep water vapors from condensating on the flue walls. Only getting white, powdery stuff indicates a clean burn.

nvanhar , I heat a 14x70 trailer with 2x4 walls and some of the original windows . And the stove os located in a 18x20 addition with 9 1/2 foot cieling . Around 1350 sq feet . Went through over 4 cord last year . But it was a brutal year for cold . Grisu , are you saying at 350 eternal on my single wall pipe it is actually much higher inside the pipe ? Just wondering because many times the stove will cruise at 400 and the pipe temp is only 250 or so . Only way to get it into the so called burn zone on the temp gauge is to run 600 plus . Does seem to burn clean. Never see smoke at the stack unless stating up . Just heat waves .

Status
Not open for further replies.